Chapter 4

Author's Note:

Hey there, reader! I bet you never thought you would see me again, huh? Well, I'm back. Kind of? Inspiration comes at the strangest times. I am very busy with university but I figured I'd give this whole writing thing another shot. Will it be another few years before I update again? Let's hope not.

With love, Emily

Dallas continued walking toward me and with each step my heart rate increased a little bit more. It felt like everything was moving in slow motion, I could almost see his eyelashes brush against his cheek as he blinked, the pinky flush in his skin growing in intensity, his lips slowly inching into a beautiful smirk.

"Happy birthday." He said, his voice smooth like silk sheets against skin. "I didn't expect to see you here." I laughed nervously and tried to avoid looking into his mesmerizing eyes.

"I could say the same thing, and thanks. I'd give you points for remembering if Two-Bit hadn't just announced it at an ear piercing volume."

"I remembered. You don't have to believe me but I did, it's even marked on my calendar." He smiled again, this time a true smile. "Can I get you another drink?" I nodded, pleasantly surprised at how sweet he was acting.

"Yeah, but just a ginger ale this time. I think I'm a little too old to be getting completely obliterated." He laughed and pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear, I shivered in shaky delight.

"You're never too old for a good time but you're wish, my command." He sauntered to the bar and brushed past the waiting customers and slipped behind the bar and retrieved my drink, in true Dallas fashion he returns without paying for my drink.

"Thank you." I smiled, taking the cool glass bottle into my hand. The temperature felt relieving against my warm skin, I hadn't noticed how hot I felt. "Hey, mind if we get some fresh air?" I asked. He shook his head and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, sending electric tingles down my back. He led me to the door when it opened just as he reached for the doorknob. A very obviously intoxicated man stumbled into me as he tried to push past us.

"Woah, woah, woah. Who the fuck do you think you are?" Dallas' disposition immediately transformed into a hardened rage.

"I'm just coming in, man. Don't get so mad." He shoved Dallas' shoulder. A mistake for sure. Dallas pushed him back through the doors and he fell down the three concrete stairs and onto the ground in front of the bar.

"Don't fucking touch me or my girl again or you'll have a lot more to worry about than just some scrapes." Dallas hovered over him and kicked him in the ribs for good measure.

"That's enough, Dallas. It's okay, we're fine- I'm sure he gets the message." His eyes snapped to mine and for a second I was sure he was going to tell me to fuck off but he doesn't. Once settled on me, he softens his expression and motions for me to follow him. We took a seat on the curb, far enough away from the bar to be quiet. He turned to me and breathed deeply before speaking.

"Summer, I'm sorry if I've disappointed you somehow, if I've let you down or hurt you. I ruin everything, especially us and there is no one to blame but myself." My nose wrinkled in confusion, I was shocked to hear a true apology from him. I wondered if he had an ulterior motivation but his eyes were so blue I could drown in them, not like when he was guarded then the liquid depths of his eyes turned stone cold..

"Dallas." I paused, grabbing his hand. "I don't know what brought this on, I'm really surprised but happy to see you opening up. I know it's hard for you. What you've said, everything that has happened between us- I don't blame you. Things just happened the way they did, could we both have made better decisions? Of course, yes but it wasn't your fault completely. We're so young and we've gotten ourselves into messes that we couldn't predict. We tried, that's all that matters."

"You didn't fucking ruin anything, I did- that's on me. I'm stupid and angry, incapable of communicating. It's my fault, it's always been my fault and fuck, it always will be. I ruin everything, Summer, how can you not see that?" I could hear the sincerity in his voice, metallic against his tongue. "I want to be better for you, Summer, I always have."

"It's okay, Dallas. I accept your apology, I want to move on from this. It's been years and I still care about you, my feelings never went away."

"I know it might have seemed like I never gave a fuck about you but I never stopped caring. I just wanted to stop hurting you and I thought that leaving was the best way to do that but I've picked my poison and it's you-I'm hooked. Summer, I fucking love you. I want to make it up to you somehow, we've always been a team, if we rise-we rise together, I want that back." As he finished, with shaking hands he placed a cigarette from his jean's pockets into his mouth. His lighted ignited. A spark, burning fire blazing heavenly blue and orange. His words had the same effect on me, I didn't realize that I was crying until Dallas asked: "Why the hell are you crying?" It wasn't a malicious question, pure curiosity evident in his tone-he truly doesn't understand but he wants to.

"I'm happy." I said, smiling through my tears.