Chapter 2

"JADE!!!!!!!!!" I Screamed and ran over to her body laying on the hard asphalt. She was still breathing, but for how much longer?  "JADE! CAN YOU HEAR ME? PLEASE ANSWER ME!" I shouted lifting up her head. I felt something warm and sticky on my hand. I looked at it. It was blood, all of a sudden I noticed there was a big puddle of blood sprouting from her head. I panicked even more. "PLEASE,JADE STAY WITH ME! IT'S ALL GONNA BE OKAY I PROMISE" I said violently shaking her body in an attempt to get a sign of life. I looked around. The man had stepped out of his truck and was watching us. "WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE YOU IDIOT CALL AN AMBULANCE!" I screamed at him. He took a few steps back nodding firmly took out his cellphone. After what seemed way too long I heard the loud sirens of the ambulance. Two people came out of the vehicle and carried Jade inside on a brancard. "Can I come with her?" I asked. "Are you a relative of the victim?" One of the men asked. "No, I'm not. But I'm her best friend and I have to see if everything is going to be okay. Please." I begged. The man then nodded and I hopped into the ambulance. By now they had given Jade a breathing mask and they did all kinds of stuff around her. Would it be eneough to save her? "It's going to be okay Jadey you're going to be okay" I whispered to her, but it felt like I was rather comforting myself instead of her. "Miss, can you answer some questions for me?" A nurse calmly asked when we got to the hospital as I watched them rush Jade to intensive care. I nodded not taking my eyes of her. "Allright, do you know the name of the victim?" The nurse asked. "Jade Amelia Thirlwall" I mumbled quietly. "How old is Jade right now?" the nurse went on. "She's sixteen, like me" I muttered. "Okay, has she ever-" "I think it's better if I call her mother to answer those questions. She'll know better" I cut her off. The nurse nodded. "That reminds me, it's probably best if you take care of this for her" The nurse said handing me Jade's cellphone. I unlocked her phone, gratefull I remembered her password and called her mother. "Jade, where are you, you were supposed to be home an hour ago!" I heard her mother say Angrily. "Hi mrs. Thirlwall, this is Jesy. Jade had an accident, can you please come to the hospital" I said starting to cry. The other end of the line was quiet for a moment, then the call was ended. In less than five minutes Norma Thirlwall arrived at the hospital. "Where's my daughter. How is she." She immediatly demanded. A nurse came up to her. "Are you Jade's mother?" She asked. "Yes I am her mother now let me see her" Norma spoke with the same demanding tone. "I'm sorry mrs. Thirlwall, but we can't allow anyone incompetent inside at the moment. "I don't care. If I say I need to see her then I'm seeing her" she started sounding desperate. "I'm very sorry mrs. Thirlwall but rules are rules. You could bring Jade in danger." The nurse said sternly. Norma sighed. "Can I at least know how she's doing." She said surrendering. "She's in critical condition at the moment." The nurse told her. Norma quietly nodded. Then she saw me. "Jesy, oh there you are" she said relieved embracing me in a hug. "How did it happen" she asked. "I-I don't know. I just closed the door, and then... Honking and I heard Jade scream and then there was a crash, and- and I ran outside and... she just laid there and there was so much blood all of a sudden and..." I started sobbing. "It's okay Jesy, you did the right thing." Norma said still hugging me. We waited in the hospital for hours waiting for the results. Norma just came back with some coffee. "Jesy, I think it's best you should go home"Norma sounded tired. "It's okay, I need to see how Jade is doing" I said determined. "We don't know how long it'll take before they're ready. I already called your parents. They'll be here in a minute." Norma said. "But, I need to stay here" I said. "It's 2 o' clock Jesy, you should get some rest. As much as I'm worried about Jade, I'm also worried about you, you need your rest to grow." She said. I argued for a moment with her, but at last surrendered and went home with my parents. But I couldn't sleep.  At some point during the night my head started making up little scenarios of how things could've went if I ended the night differently. What if I didn't tell her about my feelings, or invited her to spent the night at our place, or even just picked another movie so we'd be home sooner or later so we would've missed the stupid truck either way.  But it was all useless. Because that wasn,t what happened. What happened was that Jade got hit by that stupid truck, and was now in the hospital in critical condition. And somehow I thought it was my fault.