The Most Perfect Imperfection of My Life

Sona passed the coffee to Dev as he stood looking out through the glass walls. He looked briefly at her and saw that she had washed her face after her crying spell earlier but her eyes were still swollen and red. Her familiar perfume, wafted through the room. He felt a little unsteady as that smell had so many memories, while his mind busily connected dots. He turned himself forcibly away.

Sona : (haltingly) " Dev I will speak with my parents ....why they didn't tell me this earlier?"

Dev: " that's your choice. Though its too late for it to affect anything...... Isn't it?", he asked softly.

Sona looked up and saw he was lost in looking outside at the hills, as if completely disinterested in her response. She kept looking for some sign that he had any doubts and saw none, which made her heart drop a few inches in her chest cavity.

Sona: " It isn't?" questioningly. Both his question and hers, went unanswered as both thought it was a reply.

Dev kept silent and she watched him, the way his eyes , a hot humid brown turned a darker shade when he looked away, the way his eyelashes shielded his eyes, so she was, now, never sure what he was thinking, the way an errant lock of hair always fell across his forehead . She used to pride herself on being able to read her husband's thoughts earlier; so many times he barely had to look at her and she knew what he was thinking.She thought, "Though that wasn't too hard, was it, as mostly all his thoughts about her were pretty much X-rated. "She smiled as she remembered how hard it had been to keep their hands off each other those days. "Honestly, it should be a crime for a guy to look that good," she thought. "Though come to think of it, when was the last time I looked at a guy like this?" she thought. "Like what Sona? Like .. like... I was attracted to him...? Huh? Attracted? Forget it Sona, you have locked up that side of yours forever... No, I could just look at him forever and not get tired. Just keep looking ........"

And that is why she was looking at him fixedly and yearningly when he turned towards her. Embarrassment shot through her as she felt caught out, progressively turned red and looked down.

" Kya kar rahi hai Sona? Abhi toh tu divorce divorce kar rahi thi aur ab usko taad rahi hai. Ab kar explain." she scolded herself. Despite trying very hard, she couldn't stop smiling at her thoughts. She realised she was feeling really alive and excited.

Sona: " (trying to cover up her embarrassment) "Aapka....aapka.. business kaisa chal raha hai? "

Dev: looking at her quizzically " All well. Kyun?"

Sona: " Nahi ab toh itne saal ho gaye hain toh sab stable ho gaya hoga na? Aap toh itne saalon se business kar rahein hain, kaafi old business ho gaya na" (basically babbling away)

Dev looked even more perplexed.

Sona: " Wahi main dekh rahi thi ki aap kitne old lag rahein hain"

Dev: "What??"

Sona slapped herself mentally. Uff "Nahi what I meant was kitne saal ho gaye na"

Dev: " Jitne saal aapke hue utne hi mujhe bhi hue, Dr Bose. Aap kehna kya chah rahi hain? "

Sona: " Ummm... Yehi ki aap bilkul bhi change nahi hue." She burst out

Dev: " Par tum toh bahut change ho gayi." He said softly

Sona: surprised: " Change toh hona pada na Dev. Insecurity bahut kuch sikha deti hai. Par bahut kuch le bhi jaati hai "