Chapter 6

*Not Edited*
_______________________

"They were like police?" Caroline asked.

"In a way," Anne said. "But they weren't as well,"

"How?"

"I was caught by them too many times, even with my brother. Every time we were, we would be taken to the town four miles away and spend the day in the slave pen. We would have to wait until our master came to pick us up or we'd be sold off,"

"Charlotte was with you that time, so it was different," Phillip said. Anne looked at him and nodded.

"More than any of you could imagine,"

*********************************
*Flashback, 1835*

"Run!" Anne yelled at her friend. They did, they ran as fast as they could in the opposite direction. They heard the yells of the four white men on their horses, Jonathon giving them orders.

Charlotte began to tire, slowing own her running. Anne grabbed her friend's hand and pulled her past the trees. They saw the fence around the plantation and saw the slaves walking to the cotton fields. Anne ran as fast as she could, as did Charlotte. They were on a few feet away from the fence until they were blocked off by Jonathan himself.

"Well, well, well," Jonathon smirked and getting off his horse. The other three circled them, trapping the two girls from going anywhere. The pale child hid behind the slave girl, who attempted not to show her fear. "You have some explaining to do you, little nigga,"

"Master Jonathon, I was- I, um" Anne stuttered. Jonathon waited for an answer, but the slave only stuttered. He slapped her on the cheeked, so hard it made Anne fall to the ground. He didn't stop there. He grabbed his whip and struck her.

The slave cried out in pain, while Charlotte couldn't help but scream. She was about to stop Jonathon, but his associates held her back. She never witnessed her friend whipped up close, it felt as if she was being beaten.

When Jonathan stopped, he grabbed steel shackles and attached them to her wrist and ankles. He pulled Anne up, making her wince in pain. She glanced back at the plantation, seeing the slaves watching her. She saw the mother and brother, knowing they were disappointed.

Anne looked back at her overseer, seeing him leading his men. There were two horses in front and behind her, and she knew it was now impossible to escape them. She noticed one of the men talking Charlotte, trying to get her on his horse. She shook her head.

"I'll be walking with her," She argued, pointing to Anne. the man looked at Jonathon, who just as confused as him. He nodded, making the patroller let her go. Charlotte ran to her friend and gave her a hug. Anne winced again, making Charlie let go.

"I'm sorry," The pale girl whispered. Anne gave her a sad smile, while Jonathon began leading them to the town.

They began their march through the woods, which led to a rocky road. The city of New Orleans was about 4 miles away, and the two friends walked the whole way there. Anne winced most of the time, her back aching and the shackles adding weight on her hands and tired feet. The rough ground became hotter as the sun rose in the sky, the heat beaming down on them.

Charlotte began to get tired after a mile of walking on the pebbled path. The heat from the daylight made her sweat and the road made her bare feet hurt. She wanted to ride the rest of the way on horseback but knew Anne wouldn't be able to do so. She decided to stick by her friend, even in the blistering heat.

By the time they made it to New Orleans, the two of the four men got off their horses and took Charlotte and Anne in the slave pen. Charlie has never been in such a place before but for Anne, it was like a daily routine.