Chapter 13

*Not Edited*
_______________________

"Charlotte freed you, but how?" Phineas asked.

"When we finished our work for the day," Anne explained. "After we ate dinner, and had an unexpected visitor,"

*********************************
**Flashback, 1835**

Anne sat on the floor of the slave quarters, fiddling with the bell and collar. She was with her brother and mother, Night, and a few of the other slaves finishing their dinner. The sun had set behind the horizon, and the sound of the coyotes was heard in the woods.

She and her family got to know the new slave while they worked. She was separated from her family when she was around Anne's age, which made the two siblings them feel uncomfortable.

They knew family separation wasn't uncommon in the South, though the small family hoped that by the end of the day they would be together.

"I haven't seen them in years," Night told them, having a bit of an accent. She sat on one of the few chairs, telling Anne and W.D. more about her vivid memories of her family. "And might not ever see them again."

"I hope you do someday," W.D. said optimistically while lighting a small candle.

"That'll never happen,"

"You can always hope,"

"Hope won't get me anywhere." She said, feeling morbid. "We are only here for work, that's all,"

W.D. sighed. Though he too focused on his tasks, he always had some hope for a better life, as did Anne.

They sat in silence for a moment. Anne got up and walked to the window. She would sometimes wave to Charlotte at the end of the day, but now it may never happen again.

Anne continued to stare outside until she saw someone climb out a window. The one that she entered through to see Charlotte at night.

The slave child couldn't help but smile as Charlotte climbed down the tree, careful not to drop the book she was carrying. The pale girl looked around and ran to the slave quarters. She quickly knocked on the door. Lunah opened it. When she did, Charlotte ran to Anne, giving her a big hug. Anne winced, the familiar pain in her back returning.

"I'm sorry," Charlotte whispered.

"Don't worry about me," Anne replied. She ushered her to go inside. When she did, the slaves smiled when they saw the one who shined a light in the darkest of times.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to warn you," She urgently said.

"Warn me?" Anne questioned as she led her friend to a rickety chair, lightly swiping away the dirt.

"I overheard my father and Jonathan. They said you have been out of control lately. They are going to take you, W.D., and your mother back to the auction house tomorrow to be sold off,"

Anne's mother, Lunah, gasped. She couldn't believe the day has come, she might never see her children again. W.D. didn't show a reaction, but Anne knew he was trying to hold back his sadness.

Lunah then looked out the window, seeing all the lights were off. She looked at her children, seeing the worry in their eyes.

"Can you get the collar key?" She asked Charlotte.

"I already have it," The pale child replied. She reached into the small pocket of her dress and pulled out a key. The girl placed it in the keyhole of the collar that Anne wore and unlocked it. The rough leather loosened around the child's neck, making her feel free again.