Taken for granted.

I keep having a lot of spontaneous encounters lately. And...something... although,I'm not sure what....is changing. Come to think of it I don't know if it's good either...

But I'll share one of the encounters with you just because I can.

I was in my school library searching for the sequel to a series I started. God bless, someone had already borrowed it. Lovely.

Fate decided I should come upon a popular poet many of you may know. The book they'd wrote was cradled between other books that had they not been toppled over, wouldn't have shed attention to the poetry book I was soon to pick up and inspect with mild curiosity.

And at the prospect of reading it, I thought 'why the heck not.'

I mean I'll just say this straight up. I'm not someone who likes delving into trends or works that have gained serious popularity because I feel the media has a way of twisting and ruining things that were once novelty and original. So I'd prefer things 'slept on', unrecognised talent if you want to call it that. Just anything non-mainstream. Unless they are the works of an auteur I've liked for a while or a trusted friend can somehow persuade me, I just stroll past that kind of material.

But this once, just this once, I found myself doing the opposite.

Within half an hour I was halfway through the book (mind you I was reading it while following my family as they bought groceries) and I have to say, it's not my favourite material but it's beautiful in its own right.

I recall waiting to borrow the book of poetry and a really pretty African girl who was older than me was also in line. Whenever I'd seen her she'd been giving  speeches about controversial issues or  just generally being a leader figure for others. I really respected that and hoped at one point I'd be able to chat with her.

Surprisingly she spoke to me. She asked what the book genre was and I explained then she followed up with poetry related questions and we laughed over how our English teachers set too many rules for poetry that she struggled with and I responded
" I mean it doesn't have to rhyme, as long as it has significance to you, it's poetry of its own kind".

I actually surprised myself, as much as I respect format for different poetry styles that is what I truly believed and it was odd to find myself telling a stranger about it.

It got me thinking; our thoughts would be poetry then wouldn't they?

This is how I see it:
We are all individuals who as we grow have different factors influencing the way we function in life. Most of us should know that the brain is the "control centre" if I can put it that way. Within our brain originates our  subconscious and conscious mind, our thoughts and so on, which I'm fascinated with honestly as I love the idea that just the simplest thought can be the cause of the biggest things and a thought isn't even tangible!

Back to the point, when you think about our thought process  (irony unintended), we all have our own mental language that usually only we understand and few else. It's our way of making sense of reality or at least the surreal, strange existence we like to label 'reality'. Believing that any formations of words that has significance and meaning to you in some way or another is poetry, I realise that thoughts are exactly that.

We just take it for granted. And we shouldn't, because although you and others may not like your thoughts, the fact that they even exist is beautiful.