Chapter 3: Leo

Chapter 3: Leo

The dreadful clatter of dishes and customers' voices echo off the brick walls of the restaurant. "Order number twenty-three!" Marty hollers through all the noise. "Leo's got it!" I yell in reply. The six o' clock rush has begun and the chaos of dinner is taking its toll as three waiters run around a large crowded room and two chefs try to fill a surplus of orders. I grab the order and speed-walk to table twenty-three.

"One large pepperoni pizza." I say setting the food before what appears to be a family of four. I don't hesitate to walk away. The orders have slowed down for a little bit and I'm due for a short break. Cara's cleaning the counter of the bar and I can't help but chuckle at the scene playing out before me. A clearly intoxicated man is serenading the bar staff, splashing his drink around in the process. Cara spots me, reveling in her misfortune, and gives me a look that I take as my cue to get back to work.

"You missed a spot." I tease and move into the kitchen before she can retort. "Leo, take this to table two." Marty says handing me a tray with five dishes. I take the tray and head to table two. Well, more like booth two.

I spot the booth and see a lady with long blonde hair pulled back into a bun. She appears to be in her early thirties and is with a man who has short-cut brown hair and appears to be in the same age range. They have a young blonde girl in a pink dress who resembles what I'm guessing to be her mother and a baby boy dressed in a light blue onesie.

"I have two cheese, one pepperoni, and a hotdog." I say. "Pepperoni for me, the cheese for the ladies, and the hotdog for this little guy." Replies the man. I divvy out the dishes and as I'm setting down the baby's food he has a sudden urge to puke and subsequently throws up on my apron, letting out a loud squeal. "Oh my god, I'm sorry!" exclaims the woman as she reaches for the infant. "That's alright." I say gruffly before leaving to the kitchen.

I can see Cara giggling from the corner of my eye and sneer at her as I grab a clean apron from under the counter. "You reap what you sow." she snickers as I walk past her to the employee restroom. The rest of the night went by smoothly and as the last customer leaves Anthony turns off the neon sign. We all sit down at the long table in the middle of the floor to eat the day's leftover food as we always do. "So tonight was eventful." Cara attempts to start a conversation. "Yep." Says Anthony popping the 'p'. "So Thanksgiving is coming up." Brittany pipes in. Marty's face lights up as he remembers something.

"Oh, yeah! So I know Cara is working Thanksgiving week, but how about the rest of you?" he says. "We'll be in town." says Anthony. He and Brittany are brother and sister so he's basically speaking for two. "I can do whenever." I say. "Since I can't give you shorter hours at least take those days off. We're not even open Thanksgiving Day, and I just needed to know what to expect." Marty replies. Too tired to fight him on this issue, I resign to silence as we finish the last of our dinner after a few short-lived conversations regarding our holiday plans.

By now Brittany and Anthony had already left, Marty was locking up and Cara was waiting for me in a booth. After I finish the last of the dishes I come out from the back and tell Cara it's time to go.

We file into the car again and drive back to the campus. On arriving at her dorm we say goodnight and part our separate ways. Enjoying the drive, I take a longer route when I'm tempted by the golden arches of a McDonald's. I order a strawberry banana smoothie and park in a lot near the public garden. I roll down my window slightly and listen to the faint sounds of people's voices, but all I see is one shadow strolling through the trees. I watch from a distance as the stranger fades from view. Finishing my smoothie, I roll up my window and decide to head home. There's still much to do.

~

As I open my apartment door yet again, Loki is asleep so I'm greeted only by the hum of the air conditioning unit. I head straight to the bedroom, return my keys to their drawer, and take a quick shower before settling down. I never know what I need to do, but somehow I always find something - an unpaid bill, an updated news article. I glance at Loki, all curled up on my bed, and wonder how great life as a dog would be. To be fed, walked, and washed by someone else and just sleep the rest of the day.

I check the clock and it reads 1:23. I let out a yawn and my eyes are growing tired. I rub my eyes and throw my self onto the bed, avoiding Loki's huddled figure. He stirs but does not wake, and I let fatigue take over.

**********

So what do you think of Leo? He's an unsociable, softie who acts all tough. I like him cause he's like a male me. That is if I were twenty three, unsociable, and had two dead parents. Well, maybe I'm not like him, but I would die writing for Antoinelle. Butterflies and rainbows are not my style.

Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Terrific Tuesday, etc. Wherever you are and whatever it is have a good one.

~ J