Chapter 6: Antoinelle

Chapter 6: Antonellie

I watch the jet black haired boy, Leo, leave the store. Or man, I guess. He looked about my age. It was nice having company other than Max for once, but he seemed sort of standoffish. I guess some people just aren't meant to interact much.

I sat sipping black coffee (I mix it up) for a little while longer. I had gotten here early today. Really, I couldn't sleep and there was nothing to do. I looked at the clock on the wall. I still had around half an hour before I actually had to get to work. I flitted around the store, talking to random people. It's amazing how much you'll get to know about people over coffee if you give it a few minutes.

"So," a man named Saul was saying to me, "we ended up stuck in the middle of the road for an hour. Everyone was calling and asking if I was bailing on Sarah." He said the woman's name with a smile on his face. "She thought you were ditching her at the aisle?" I asked. "Yeah." he responded. "Though I wonder why she would ever doubt me. I had reassured my love for her plenty of times."

"Don't worry about that." I said, "It's just every bride's worst nightmare and when you're late, they think you'll never show up." Saul smiled at me. "I'm guessing you've been in that position then?" I blushed. "No, no, I've just experienced it from another point of view." I said, wishing I never brought it up.

Saul was actually a pretty interesting guy. He was hot for 30, but I'd never go for someone married and ten years older than me. As I stood up to leave, I saw a pretty blonde woman walk through the door. "That's Sarah." said Saul. I smiled and shook hands with her, waving goodbye to Saul. It must be nice knowing there's someone for you that will never stop loving you. Sarah was a fool to doubt Saul's love for her. It's written all over his face when he looks at her.

Getting on to my new Softail, I thought about the boy Leo again. I was excited that he was coming to volunteer at the youth center, but I wasn't trying to sell him into doing it. I just thought that if he honestly loved children, he would want to come and visit them.

As I rode the motorcycle, I thought how it was good luck that Kent took me to get a motorcycle license. Maybe he was planning to get this for me for a little while now. Perhaps he does think of me. But besides that, I was in love with it. Driving down the roads, I saw people take double takes of the motorcycle, some looking at its design, some recognizing it for the classic it is.

Pulling in to JcPenney, I clocked into work 5 minutes before I had to. "You're early." a nasally voice said from behind me. I turned to face Jessica again. Every day it was the same. Come into work, get lectured by Jessica about how I'm doing everything wrong, and then leave after 5 hours.

"Yesterday you berated me for being late. Today you criticize me for being early. What? Do you want me to clock in exactly at 11:00 or what?" I said to her. She smiled smugly at me. "Yes," she said, "that's exactly what I want from you." Then she walked off, swaying her hips vulgarly. Was that supposed to be attractive?

Four hours and fifty nine minutes later, I was standing a little bit away from where I clocked. I pretended to fold some jeans so that Jessica couldn't call me out for doing nothing. When it turned 4:00 on the dot, I swiped my employee card and clocked out of work, leaving hastily.

I had skipped going to the library today because I had finished the required courses for this semester that needed school work. I would start studying for mid-term exams later on. I was nervous to get to work, knowing that Leo was going to be there. I don't know why. He was handsome, yes, but I just met the guy. I must just be excited to see the kids again.

When I entered the youth center, instead of little hands, the bigger hands (not because she ate a lot) of Sammy grabbed me instead. Pulling me to the yard she asked, "What sport are we playing today? And please don't say dodge ball. That's what Mave wants us to do but I can't stand being hit again and again."