Chapter 7: Leo

Chapter 7: Leo

Idiot. She probably thinks I'm a vampire with all my mood swings. This is a terrible idea.

I've been sitting in this Starbucks for fifteen minutes now, Nellie's favorite drink in hand.

What if she doesn't get coffee on Sundays?

Ugh. I keep playing and replaying yesterday over in my head. It really wasn't a bad day. Actually, it was the best day I've had in a while. Nellie is...kind. She makes you feel like talking, even when your mind is quiet. And nothing awkward you say can't be topped, though I don't think that part's intentional.

I should apoligize, right?

At this point the manager is eyeing me, and I was just about to down the darn coffee myself when I hear the engine of a vintage motrocycle and freeze. I've never done anything like this. I mean a sincere, willing apology for my completely intentional actions. She parks and the closer she gets to the door the faster my heart beats. The door opens and I take a step forward.

"Nellie." I say. "Oh, hi Leo?" She replies, caught off gaurd. "Look I'm sorry about yesterday. I was a jerk. I'm not a vampire or... I mean I'm sorry. I'm just not used to that kind of thing. You know talking and being normal and I probably shouldn't have left you in a McDonald's parking lot so..." I trail off.

"I bought you a latte.", I spit out. A small smile forms on her face. "Thanks." She pauses, "Do you mind if I ask? Why exactly did you leave me in a McDonald's parking lot. Did I say something, or do something?"

"No, you did nothing wrong. I just...I lost some people recently." Her face fell. "But no, not like - they've been gone for a while I just - You know when your dog dies?"

"What?"

"Like when your dog - or cat, or fish if you want - when your best pet friend dies and you cry because you're sad and then eventually you stop crying, but you're still a little sad so you don't go out and get a new dog or cat or fish."

Nellie's eyes were wide with confusion.

"It's been a while since I've laughed or had fun with other people. But I had fun last night, with you, and I was caught off gaurd so I took off like some kind of angsty vampire trying to avoid the sunlight."

"So, I'm the sunlight?" Nellie says with a small glint in her eye.

"Or the new dog..." I stammer.

"Oh." Was all she could say.

"Look I haven't really figured out the right way to explain everything, but I wanted to try because, if you wanted, I thought, maybe we could be..."

"Friends." She finishes my sentence.

"Yeah."

Her smile was starting to come back as she says, "I think we could make that work."

I smile in return, "Well, since we're friends, I guess I should warn you that I can be rude and sarcastic sometimes, but I don't mean it. You'll know if I mean it."

"Okay then. As friends you should know that I'm very busy and if I don't text back or something like that it's not because I'm ignoring you."

"Okay. I'm guessing you have somewhere to go, so um here's your vanilla latte."

I awkwardly shove the cup towards her, which she accepts gratefully. We say our goodbyes and I walk, or skip more like, back outside to my car. Sinking into the driver's seat I think.

That was easier than I thought.

~

Sitting at home this Sunday is incredibly boring. You have one friend for two seconds and all of the sudden Loki's company isn't enough. I stare at the completed volunteer paperwork laying in a pile on the counter. I guess it couldn't hurt if I dropped it off?

~

I park on the curb in front of the large house that serves as the community youth center. Based on the lack of motorcycles I assume Nellie hasn't arrived. I walk in and am greeted by Patty, "Leo! I didn't know you were coming in today? Thank God, though, these kids are far too awake for this time of day."

"Actually, I was just dropping off some paperwork-"

"Leo!" It was Jack, and he looked excited. "But maybe I could spare a few hours."

"Great!" Said Patty, swiping the papers from my hand and shutting herself in her office.

"Come on up, I've got to show you something." Jack raced up the stairs of the house. I'd never seen the second story and at the speed Jack was going I still can't say I have. But the third floor is a bonus room furnished with bean bag chairs and board games. A small TV and game system sit in the far-left corner, opposite a row of desktops where Jack stood. Catching my breath, I walked over to meet him.

He hands me some headphones, "I want your opinion on something."

**********

Short chapters, I know. I'm still figuring this ish out. I feel as though the author's note has become more of a communication between L and I. Oh, well it's not like you read these any way.

May the odds be never in your favor.

~J

If anything, you totally read these just so you can learn about the amazing people who write the story, brought to you from outer space. :)

~L