file twenty-five

Uri walked in, after a guard by the door opened it for her from the inside

Uri walked in, after a guard by the door opened it for her from the inside. Jeongsu was surprised to see her. He had a smile on his face as he beckoned her over.

"Lazuli! To whom do I owe this visit to?"

"I need to talk to you in private, Jeongsu. It's something of an important matter," Uri said.

Her face had no emotion. She always had that sort of expression on her face. Only on missions did she show sympathy. It was something she didn't really enjoy. After learning about who she really was, she wondered if she laughed as a child.

She wondered if her parents took her to the park like other children, or if she attended a normal school with other children who loved to play on swings and eat kimchi.

"Well, this is an open space. Don't be afraid to tell me," he said, gesturing to his spacious office with the two bodyguards by the door.

"If you insist. It's about my parents."

His smile twitched and he sighed, closing his checkbook and placing the pen he had in his hand back into the holder. He scooted closer to his desk, folding his hands together and resting his elbows on the edge of his desk.

"You two may leave," Jeongsu said. "Get off this floor."

The bodyguards shared a look and left, closing the door behind them. Their footsteps eventually faded as they walked farther away and closer to the elevator.

"What do you want to know about your parents?"

"You're taking this awfully well. Wouldn't this be a taboo? An act of disobedience?" Uri asked.

He chose not to answer, making the silence deadly. The only sounds were from the ticking of the wall clock and Uri's heavy breathing through her nose.

It was obvious Uri wouldn't talk anymore until he answered her question. It wasn't a question of importance, but Uri needed to know why he didn't choose to shoot her on the spot.

He always had one gun strapped to the bottom of his desk. There were two daggers taped underneath his chair, while he always carried another gun on him. He could have easily shot her on the spot.

"An act of disobedience, yes, but a taboo? I wouldn't call it exactly that. I had a feeling you would eventually snoop around and find your file. You got it from your father, after all."

Uri gritted her teeth. "And what would you know about my father?"

"That he was a disgusting man," Jeongsu replied nonchalantly.

"He can't be any worse than you," she retorted.

He laughed. "On the contrary, you'd definitely be surprised. He's a bad man, Uri."

Her body went rigid and cold as if she were frozen alive. She didn't like how her name rolled off his tongue. It was disgusting and scary to her. A man like him didn't deserve to say her newfound name.

Then again, Uri didn't deserve to have a name. She was just as bad as Jeongsu. She worked under him, seducing people to take their lives away.

"You didn't use past tense," she muttered. "My file says that the mafia killed my parents. Why are you using present tense?"

"Because he's still alive."

"What? Why would my file say he's dead? Who is he? Is he a threat?" Uri asked.

Jeongsu laughed again. "He's not a threat to the mafia, no. Rather, he's a threat to himself and you. You see, the man on your file isn't your real father. He was your stepfather. I'm your real father, Uri."