Chpt 20: Birthdays and surprises

—————8:00pm—————

(Y/N)'s P.O.V
Once we all finish eating the cake, I thank my parents one last time for the presents and for the cake. Though I told them that they didn't have to get me presents or cake, they still did it and I felt cared for - I felt loved.
I smile to myself as I remember that Toby was taking me to the mansion tonight so everybody else could celebrate my birthday with me. What interested me the most though was what Toby said: "I have a huge surprise for you, so make sure that you're wearing your most beautiful dress."
Mom and dad are allowing me to go out tonight with who they think is (B/F/N) so I could spend a little bit of my birthday with her too. I feel a little bad for lying to them about seeing (B/F/N), when in reality, I am seeing Toby. I know that I can't tell them about Toby and the others though.

When Toby arrives, he uses an app on his phone to mimic the sound of a car horn - so my parents think that I'm taking a cab to (B/F/N)'s place. When they hear the horn, mom and dad give me a quick hug before I leave the house, excitement bubbling up inside me.
Once I'm outside, I head towards the woods where Toby is waiting for me, a bouquet of assorted flowers in his hand. When I see the flowers, I can't help but to giggle. "You didn't have to bring me anything." "What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't bring my girlfriend some flowers on her birthday?" As he says this, Toby hands me the bouquet with a smile, to which I take with a light blush dusting my cheeks. We begin to head to the mansion.

Once we arrive, Toby opens the door for me and I walk inside, my eyes widening when I see how well-decorated it is. Just then, everybody pops out from behind the couch and throws their hands up in the air, smiles on their faces. "Happy 19th Birthday, (Y/N)!" A gasp escapes my lips and I smile, bringing the bouquet of flowers close to my chest. When I feel a hand touch my back, I look behind me to see Toby grinning "What do you think?" "What do I think? I think this is amazing! I haven't had a birthday party in years! Not since I was sixteen!" I give Toby a quick peck on the cheek before we both hear BEN shouting happily "Let's get this started!!"

We all play several games throughout the few hours I've been there and surprisingly, I managed to beat Jeff at beer pong and BEN at Call of Duty. I also managed to beat LJ at Connect 4 and EJ at battleship. Now it's me against Toby. I smirk as I stare at my opponent, to which he does the same. "I'm a master at this game, Rogers. So you better watch out." "Heh, don't go crying when you lose." And so, our nerf gun war begins.

Right when I'm down to my last nerf gun bullet, I curse under my breath as Toby has three more. The nerf gun bullets of his just miss my face by an inch and I take a deep breath, quickly aiming for him and then pulling the trigger. His eyes widen when he gets hit right in between the eyes and he falls backwards, faking his death. I do my victory cry and everyone else starts laughing along with Toby. Clapping soon follows.

—————10:25pm—————

Toby's P.O.V
Right when the party is coming to an end, I watch as (Y/N) thanks everybody for the party all the while my heart pounds inside my chest due to nervousness. I take a few deep breaths once she finishes thanking everyone and walk towards (Y/N), taking one more deep breath once I'm behind her. Hesitantly, I tap her shoulder to which she turns around to look at me. It's time. I struggle to suppress my tics as I kneel down in front of her, keeping eye contact with her the whole time. As I do this, her eyes widen, as if she already knows what's about to go down.

"(Y/N) (Y/L/N). We've been together for one year already and it's crazy to think that such a small amount of time already got me to figure out that this relationship would last for a long time.
Ever since I met you, I just knew that there was something special about you - that you were unique. What I didn't know was that one woman would change my life forever."

As she listens to me, (Y/N)'s eyes start to tear up and her cheeks turn a light shade of pink. She holds the bouquet of flowers in one hand while her other covers her mouth, watching me as she tries to hold herself together.

"Some days I wonder how you could love someone like me - a killer. One day, however, I finally figured it out. You're a beautiful, amazing woman who doesn't judge by actions or looks, you judge by personality, you judge by seeing what type of person somebody really is underneath. You managed to look past my actions and see who I truly was and see just how broken I was. You decided to fix me; bit by bit. For that, I love you more than words can say and more than actions can express."

A single tear runs down (Y/N)'s cheek to which she immediately goes to wipe it, laughing a little because of this. I chuckle, reaching to my pocket and taking out a small, black box containing a ring. Keeping eye contact, I open the box while (Y/N) watches, doing her best to fight off tears.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you, (Y/N). So I ask, will you do me the honor of becoming Mrs. Rogers?"

As soon as I finish, (Y/N) nods her head as a few more tears fall down her face and a smile forms upon her lips. I stand up and slip the ring onto her finger, only to have (Y/N) throw her arms around my neck once I'm finished. I almost fall, but I manage to keep my balance and return the hug, the sound of clapping filling the mansion along with a few cheers.