Chapter Five.

Jay:

The rain poured heavily as I made my way home. My mom had been running late, so I told her I would walk; especially since I knew Steve's lazy ass would come get me. My whole body was soaked in the heated liquid. Even though it was raining; the humidity was unbelievably high causing me to sweat. I looked down at my once loose clothes that now clung to my wet body. But I couldn't even focus on how uncomfortable I was. All I could focus on was Jhené face when she ran out the classroom. She looked so confused and somehow... Hurt. I shook those thoughts out my head and rolled my eyes. It pissed me off that I couldn't get my mind off of her when it was obvious that she didn't want anything to do with me. So why was I spending my time on her? I mean it was only one day.

"I'm trippin'." I groaned and made my way up the driveway to my front door. Just as I was about to open it, my mom pulled into the empty space next to Steve's broke down car.

"Oh nena, ¿qué tiene de malo?" {Oh baby, what's wrong?} I shrugged and shook my head. I wasn't really in the mood to talk to anyone about anything. Plus, I knew my mom would flip if she knew I had feelings for a teacher I had just met.

"Nada, mamá. No se preocupe." {Nothing, mama. Don't worry.} She frowned. I knew she hated it when I didn't tell her what was wrong but she also knew that she had to respect my privacy. I walked up to my room and fell onto the bed face first. I could smell the Carne Asada Fries all the way in my room but for some reason it just made my stomach churn. I sighed and lied there for a second. Thoughts of Jhené swirled through my mind, but I didn't want them to stop. I just allowed myself to daydream about her. I hated the fact that once a girl interested me, I couldn't keep them out of my mind. Honestly, how ridiculous did that sound; having a girl stuck in your head the very first day you meet her?

"Jasmine Lopez, lo que está mal con usted?" {What is wrong with you?} I shook my head and turned over, wanting to drown her out.

"Fine." She said as her frown deepened. "I just wanna make sure you're okay, baby girl." She made her way over to me. "You've been so closed lately. I remember when you used to tell me everything." I stared up at her, noticing how her eyes watered. "I miss my little girl; the little girl who always seemed to need her mommy." My frown deepened. The last thing I wanted was to see my mama upset but I had to be honest with her... and myself.

"I'm sorry Mama. But she's gone. She left as soon as you replaced her." She stared at me in shock, so I stared back at her.

"W-what?" Her eyes turned angry. "I never replaced you, Jasmine! What are you talking about?" My anger boiled over and I lost it.

"With John! Then Kréme, then Trevor, then Darrel, and now Steve! Every time you get a new boyfriend, I'm pushed to the side! Every single goddamn time! It's like you can't function without a man around. And when they aren't around, you close up and ignore me! So either you don't care enough to ask, or you're too damn depressed to even acknowledge me!" By the time I was done with my rant I was standing up, pacing the room. I knew it was disrespectful to speak to my mother the way I did but it was too late. I was tired of always being placed in second place, or just down right non-existent.

"I just wish you would understand how much I need you sometimes." My shoulders dropped. "I just want my Mama back. Where's my Mama that always knew what was wrong with me without even asking?" Her blank, emotionless face stared up at me as tears streamed slowly down her cheeks. I grabbed the bag that held my uniform, along with my keys and headed towards the door.