Chapter 10

The bathroom door opened with a squeak that sounded like a wounded dog. Or maybe that was the sound of my heart breaking.

"Again?" I whispered the word unintentionally, staring with disgust at the scene playing out in front of me.

Alex had some guy pinned against the far wall and I was so glad I didn't have a clear view of whatever was happening. I thought I was going to be sick.

Alex didn't turn around or even acknowledge that someone else was in the bathroom. Did he not even care that he was cheating on me for the second time? I didn't even want to hear his excuses. I wouldn't keep letting that asshole walk all over my heart.

I slammed the bathroom door shut as I left, hoping the sound would snap them out of it, and headed to the front desk.

"Hi," I said quietly to the lady behind it. I recognized her as the waitress who served our meals. "I'm not feeling very good right now, so can I get my dinner to go? I don't know where my date went but he can pay for his own and I'm just going to go home and get some rest."

The lady nodded sympathetically. "Of course sir," she said, asking another lady walking by to bring my order to the front desk in a takeout container.

She leaned in a little bit closer. "Your meal is on us tonight sir. I have a pretty good idea of what your date is up to and there's no way I can let you pay for this. You just go home and take care of yourself now, okay?"

I nodded, tears already forming in my eyes as I thanked her and grabbed my takeout container before rushing out of the restaurant.