Chapter 13

Alan's POV

Today was the day where we officially found out if Leah was going to be with our mother full time. The divorce was finalized, the only thing left was the custody battle. As time when on I saw how draining it was on my dad. He was constantly meeting with the lawyer and constantly working. He wasn't home a lot this past week because of it either.

My parents sat Leah and I down in the living room after school. I was nervous for the answer, I felt like I knew what was going to happen.

I didn't want to believe it though. I didn't know what I would do without Leah. She was my world and she was one of the only people, besides me dad, who I was really trying for. She was like my rock and I would be shattered if she was taken from me.

"You obviously know what we're here to talk about," Mom said looking to my dad then to Leah and I.

"Obviously," I said holding Leah's hand.

They had finally explained what was going on to her. She was sad and she still had dried up tears on her face. She didn't want them to leave each other and I knew this would be hard for her to understand now, especially if she was taken away to probably never be able to see me again.

"Don't sugar coat it, which one of you are going to have her?" I asked nervously.

My dad gave me a sad smile, "Your mom won custody Al."

"What?"

"But we do get Leah once a week every month," He explained.

I gave him a look, "What's the catch?"

"There isn't real-"

"What's the catch?" I repeated.

"You have to be supervised whenever you're with her," Mom said immediately. "I don't trust you around her."

"Are you kidding me?" I demanded. "I do fine with Leah, I've never hurt her or anyone in my family for that matter."

"Don't fight me on this. If you want to see her at all you'll respect this."

"Fine."

"Then it's settled. I'll give you another week with her, then she comes home with me." My mom said and stood up, "Bye now."

She left quickly after that.

I looked at my dad who looked just as defeated as I did.

"I tried so hard Alan, I really did" He said his voice wavering.

I went over to him and gave him a hug. He tried I know he did. My dad wasn't one to give up, but at this point he didn't have a choice. I ruined his chances of keeping Leah here and I'll never forgive myself for it.

"It's my fault," I whispered. "I'm so sorry."

"Hey now, don't say that. You were trying your best and you did everything you could have to create and amazing environment for Leah. You'd never hurt her and I know that. Your mom is just psychotic and doesn't see that."

"I'm never going to not blame myself."

"Alan Anthony, you did what you could and I did what I could. We can be grateful that we're able to have her a week a month."

"It's still my fault," I said with a sigh.

"It's not, alright? Don't blame yourself for this."

I shook my head. I knew I wasn't going to win this with him. I felt terrible and I wished I could fix all this, but I couldn't.

"Is it okay if I go for like a walk or something? I need some time to think." I said.

"Just be home before dinner."