Chapter 20: Her Past

James' P.O.V

Why did I agree to do this again? Oh yeah, Helen made me. Damn it, I don't want to be here with these assholes, they're nothing but...well...assholes. I have yet to hear them utter a single worthwhile phrase.

I honestly didn't want to meet up with the guys from school today but I was invited by someone who is supposedly my 'best friend', Alex Jones so I couldn't really say no even if I did just want to stay home and watch films with Helen. Ugh, this sucks.

What makes it worse is that Sam and Connor are here and both of them hurt her, I'm having to stop myself from saying anything or lashing out at them and trust me when I say it is not easy, every time I look at them all I picture is Helen passed out on the side of the road looking extremely pained. I hate them. I hate everyone here. I know I have no right to really hate them since not too long ago, I was just like them but at least I've changed. I refuse to hate anyone without reason anymore, especially when it's obvious that they're going through the kind of stuff Helen is.

I hate myself for the pain I caused her so I want to help her as much as I can. I wish I could just punch these guys in front of me but I know that Helen would get mad at me for it so I'll just keep to myself as much as I can.

My thought process was stopped when the guys started questioning me for some reason about Helen.

"So dude, why the hell are you being nice to that nerd?" Connor asked. I tensed at the question. Why do they care so damn much? It's not that big of a deal.

"She's nice, why else?" I spoke as if the answer was obvious because...well it is. They all scoffed at the answer, clearly not impressed. What is their problem with her, I don't get it.

"The fuck? I think you need your head checked, she's such a freak" Sam spoke up. That made me angry, I cannot believe him.

"Yeah man, have you seen that shit on her arms? She's covered in cuts and scars, it's disgusting. I wish I didn't have to look at that shit" Connor chimed in.

"Yo, maybe if she did it deep enough we would never have to see that shit or even her again. Who would even care anyway, she's just a worthless freak anyway." Sam spoke, seeming to think this was a great idea. They are fucking sick and twisted bastards. I can't take any more of this shit. I got up from my position on the sofa and started to get my stuff together, not wanting to be in the same room as them any longer.

"Where are you going? Don't you think you're overreacting a little, I mean it's not like she's that important in the grand scheme of things. She's just a nobody who has caught your attention, I bet you'll be back to ignoring her within the next week" This time it was Alex that spoke, the person who claims to be my best friend won't even stand by my side on this. Fuck them.

"What the fuck do any of you know? You know nothing about her or what she's gone through. She doesn't deserve any of the absolute shit she gets from any of you or anyone at school. If this is how you all act towards someone who gets bullied for no reason then I want nothing to do with any of you" With that said I walked out of that god-forsaken house, completely ignoring their attempts to call out to me. I drove all the way back home, just wanting to forget this day ever happened.

When I got home, I heard the TV on in the living room, indicating where Helen currently was. I didn't say a word as I sat down on the sofa next to her since I was still ticked off about what happened earlier. I can't believe those guys said so much shit about Helen...actually, yes I can, they're dick heads who wouldn't know kindness if it kicked them in the face.

I could feel myself tensing up at the thought of those guys, I feel so bad that I chose to hang out with them today. I wish I had just stayed home with Helen, it would have been so much better.