| nervous |

'Wear something nice, for once! I mean he went all out to invite you to an event and everything,' June muttered, eyeing down Rue's bland outfit with dissatisfaction.

'It's a lacrosse game, June.'

'Whatever!' A smile spread across her lips, sitting smugly on the ends. 'You're not stepping out of this dormitory until I'm done with you.'

'Heck no...'

'Get in here!' June said grabbing a revolting Rue by her elbows and dragging her into their closet.

After what seemed like decades, June let Rue see herself in the mirror. She was stunned. Although she always made a big fuss over June's sisterly behaviour, she had to admit, it felt good to be pampered. Once in a while.

'It's...'

'I know. Now run, because it's already seven five,' June added.

'Oh gosh,' Rue exclaimed, grabbing her bag and waving off as she left. Silently, she thanked June for choosing a coat for her to wear on top of the outfit that she wore; faded denims and a floral top that was tucked inside. It was chilly and she could feel the tips of her fingers freezing.

It took her ten and a half minutes to get to the field.

Avery stood with his helmet off, scanning the few people that were there, until he saw a fawn-skinned girl running towards him.

'I'm... so... sorry.... I... June... wanted me.... wear...'

He laughed at her breathlessness, a doubt lifted off his heart.

He extended one arm to smooth out her hair, which had been messed up by the wind. But before he could, a voice interrupted him. Avery shot daggers through his eyes at the intruder, Tom.

'Mate, we need to start in a couple of minutes,'

'I know, Tom.' Avery replied, rolling his eyes.

Tom looked from Avery to Rue, then back to Avery. Realisation dawned on him and he took a step back, realising how he'd probably face Avery's whining later.

'Oh, I'm so sorry,' he held his hand out for Rue, 'I'm Tom, his roommate. You must be, Rue I suppose?'

'Uhm, yes I am. Nice to meet you.'

She shook his hand awkwardly.

'Tom, aren't they calling you back there?' Avery added.

'Calling me? No one's...' He was cut short by the look on Avery's face. 'Oh yeah! They are. Alright, see you in a bit!'

Rue couldn't figure out what had just happened as she watched Tom clumsily prance back to where he had come from.

'Anyways,' Avery continued. 'We're playing against the Lamington Phoenixes. They're pretty good.'

'Are you nervous?'

'Nervous? Of course I am! It's my first game. And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do something stupid.'

'As much as I'd like to agree, I don't think you will. You joined the club for a reason right?'

She looked at him, waiting for an answer.

He stared in front of them into nothingness.

'Yeah,'

'So channel that passion into your game. And I'm sure you'll win.'

He looked up at her for a split second.

'Thanks, Rue.'

She gave a half-smile in return.

After a whole lot of cheering, screaming, throwing and running, the game was over. Rue watched from her seat in the stands as a particular blue haired boy threw his helmet off his head and entered the team huddle.

They'd won.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-