| crimson necktie |

Rue bounced back and forth on the balls of her feet as she waited for Avery. She glanced at the neat little wristwatch on her left hand. Anytime now.

It was already 8:00 PM.

She turned her gaze to the right side, just as a rumbling noise met her ears. A black car halted in front of her. She didn't move; dumbstruck by the appearance of such an expensive and lavish vehicle.

Rue usually took the underground system or the bus.

She watched as a certain blue-haired boy stepped out to open the door for her. He was wearing a black suit with a crimson red tie. It was one of those rare days where the only thing blue was his hair.

Avery's lips stretched into a satisfied smirk, seeing Rue's choice of clothes: white pants and a matching suit jacket with a pale yellow blouse underneath. It seemed to be dotted with what looked like wildflowers. And it was undoubtedly the one he had bought her.

'Well?' Rue asked, spreading out her arms.

'You look stunning, sunshine.'

Hiding her face, she slid into the leather covered seats of the car, as Avery followed her inside.

He took a deep breath.

She knew he was nervous.

So she did something new. She held his hand.

He looked surprised, but he didn't let go.

Rue was very confused, to say the least. She'd never attended a fancy meeting before. And this one seemed to be even fancier and serious than what she had imagined.

She watched old and young men and women talk and debate. They'd made quite an entrance, that was for sure. Avery had asked her to take his arm and she'd followed. Needless to say, a few eyebrows were raised.

Xavier seemed to be portraying a complete picture of elegance and charm as he placed numbers and stocks before the business partners. He had the whole stage under his influence. Rue watched from the crowd, but her eyes kept drifting back to Avery whose seat was next to Xavier's.

She could see that as he stood up to talk, Xavier's face oozed confidence and snootiness. Rue watched as Avery went up to the podium.

And he changed everything Xavier had just said with one simple sentence.

'Forever moving forward.' Avery said. 'I think this is something you all know. And what I know for sure, is that what we need is not a war general with plans only to conquer.'

He looked back at Xavier's scowl.

'We need a thinker. Someone with new ideas who can honour our roots as well.'

Someone like you. Rue thought, as he spoke with eloquence pouring out of his lips and dazzling stars shining in his eyes.

And after he had finished his speech, he asked one question.

'I would like to ask Xavier something. Do you know what that first sentence I had said, is?'

Xavier's eyes widened.

The crowd began to murmur.

'How does Mr. Black not know this?' A woman next to Rue whispered. She tutted in disbelief. Rue smiled.

Avery's eyes were like a hawk, about to swoop down on his prey.

Silence.

And then his voice.

'It's the motto of this company. The one mum put forward. The very soul of this business. And one I plan to live by.'

The silence was replaced by a single applaud.

It was Rue.

Soon, the Hall was filled with claps and cheers and a decision had emerged. Rue felt proud. Both of Avery an herself. Thanks to this blue haired stranger of a boy, she was no longe the old Rue; always uptight and nervous, afraid to be different.

She was now truly, Rue Hawthorne, someone no one else was and someone no one else could ever be.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-