| spring |

'Rue, where's the permanent marker, damn it?' June's voice came from their bedroom, just as Rue closed the door behind her.

It had been barely a few milliseconds since she'd stepped into the dorm.

And June was already throwing a tantrum.

Snorting to herself, she called out to her friend, 'Have you tried checking the top drawer?'

'Yes!'

'Check it again, a bit more carefully.' She added as she placed her belongings onto the sofa in the front room.

'Found it...'

'Course you did.'

Rue carried her polaroid in one hand to the bedroom where she positioned herself on the bed, facing her string lights. The chain of photographs that she had started at the beginning of the year had already blossomed into a much larger collection.

Her eyes instinctively darted to the second but last addition; a photograph of the blue haired boy from the day he emerged victorious. She smiled to herself, eyes glazing over with regret. The seasons had shifted from harsh winter to flowering spring.

But it had been over a month since she had seen to spoken to Avery Black.

Of course, she didn't blame him for it, this time. He had loads to do; what with becoming the sole owner of his mother's business. She was more worried that he must've been diving himself insane.

And although he'd promised her in one of his rare text messages, that he would be back to pursue photography, and that he had spoken to the University, she couldn't help but feel a bit skeptical about his return. Would she ever meet him again?

Probably not.

June wasn't someone who voiced all her thoughts. But she was observant and she could clearly see Rue mourning, staring at her string of photographs, like she did every other day. Deciding that they'd had enough, she got up and pulled her dark skinned companion off the bed.

'Come on, we're leaving.'

'Huh?'

'Let's go to the river. We haven't been there in a while.'

June turned to look at Rue.

'Take that camera of yours along. It ought to cheer you up a bit.'

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-