| you're nothing |

They walked together, along the empty hallway, in what felt like a calm and welcoming silence.

They didn't need words to express themselves. And Rue had never been that great at words, anyway. She reached into her bulging handbag and pulled something out.

Avery chuckled.

'Why does this not surprise me?'

'What, the fact that I carry my camera everywhere or that I took about ten pictures of you?'

'Both.'

She smiled at him, looking at the polaroids she'd just taken. More memories engraved into her brain.

'Rue...'

She turned around. He had stopped, right in the middle of the sitting room that they were currently in.

'Hmm?' Her eyes were questioning, looking at him, nibble on his lower lip, like he was conflicted about something.

'Thank you. I really mean it.'

'For what?'

'For being there when I needed it the most. I... I think I really...' He was about to say something when the doors flew open in a burst of angriness and wrath.

Xavier.

'You no-good, filthy little brat!'

Avery placed himself before Rue. She couldn't understand what was going on. All she could see was the rage in Xavier' eyes. The tender expression that had been there on Avery's face had been wiped off.

'How dare you insult me in front of all those people?'

'I simply spoke, Xavier. Don't be a baby about it.'

Xavier laughed, gritting his teeth afterward. 'Me? You should be one to talk! You're a child, what do you know about business?'

Avery's fists curled up into balls.

'It's all your fault!' Xavier screamed.

'My fault?'

'That mother is dead! Just like father.'

Avery stepped back, a glaze of shock in his irises.

'If you had been home rather than doing something as silly as photography, she would still be alive!'

Xavier looked down, then back up at Avery, shoving him backwards into Rue. 'How could you let her die?'

'Guys, please stop...' Rue murmured, afraid of what would ensure. Xavier's gaze turned to her, fiery like an open forest fire.

'Why is this girl even here? Why are you mingling with such outcasts and filth?'

'Shut your mouth, you arse.' Avery finally spoke, his words as bitter as poison.

'Excuse me? I'm the arse here? I'm not the one who let our mother die!'

Avery's temper was flaring.

'You're nothing, Avery.'

Rue reached out, but it was too late.

Avery had already launched a fist aimed for Xavier's jaw.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-