| lacuna |

╒══════════════════════════╕

        lacuna
     (n.) a blank space, a missing part.

╘══════════════════════════╛

'Rue?'

Three figures stood at the bathroom door, all of them with the same worried expression on their face. June was the one who had called out to the girl on the other side. Tom stood next to her, almost as if he was the sole cause for the chaos that had ensued. Sienna placed a hand on his back, looking at the door.

'Rue, come out, please.'

'Go away. All of you.'

Her voice was sharp, shaken by her tears and her sobbing.

June sighed, then motioned to the other two to leave. With a nod, Sienna dragged Tom back, out of the dorm. June placed her hand on the door. She didn't want to leave her like that.

'Please, Rue. It's just me now.'

'I... I can't do this, not right now. Give me some time, please.'

'Alright. I'll be outside whenever you need me.'

Inside, Rue sat crouched on the bathroom floor, her head hanging limp against the tile wall. She clutched her chest with one hand, while the other lay lifeless on the floor beside her.

His words rang in her head.

I promise.

She hated him for saying that. She hated him for having to go. She hated him for leaving her guessing. But she couldn't. She couldn't hate him because of her own stupid heart. She couldn't hate him, because she had never pushed herself to reach out to him, either. And now that she knew the truth, she couldn't hold him guilty for it all.

What Tom had told her fifteen minutes ago that morning, came flooding back to her.

'He told me to tell you that he's sorry. I know he is. And there was a reason behind everything he did. He had no choice.'

'What do you mean?'

'You see, Avery's not that ordinary a guy...'

'Yes he isn't, he has blue hair for god's sake!'

'Not that. He... has he ever talked to you about his family?'

'A bit... his mother passed away, you told me that. And he said that his family is always busy all the time.'

'Rue, please don't be shocked. But Avery's family is one hell of a complicated tangle. His mother was one of the most prestigious businesswomen in the country. But that's not where his problem ends...'

'...What?'

'He has a brother. Older than him, by a few years. He'd disappeared for a long time after abandoning them, and even I didn't know that he was back.'

'I'm still not comprehending, I'm sorry...'

'I know it's a lot to take in. It's messed up and complicated. His brother now wants to take back the family business from Avery. If he doesn't claim what was left to him, his brother will sure as hell kick him out of the family. The less competition the better. He hates people like us, like you and me. But more than us he despises Avery.'

Tom paused.

'And that's why he has to go. He can't stay here any longer and risk everything. He didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to his own mother.'

'What happens to him now?'

'He has to make sure that all the people who were under his mother support him. If his brother manages to sway them, he'll be able to do whatever he likes. And if that happens, he's doomed.'

Stray tears found their way down her cheeks, pooling at her chin, before dropping to the floor.

But crying was of no use, and she knew it.

Mustering up all the fragments of her courage, she pulled herself together and stood up. She walked out of the door to find June waiting outside on the bed.

'Rue are you...'

'Where's Tom?'

'Tom? He must be with Sienna... Rue! Wait!'

She burst out the door, looking for the boy who had told her the truth. Sure, enough she found him with Sienna. They stared at her with wide-eyes until she spoke.

'Tom, I need one more favour from you.'

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-