kate

I walked slowly up the stairs of my apartment complex. Maybe it was solemn, or maybe I was just tired after working the entire day. Either way, I dragged my feet up the stairs until I got to my floor.

The woman who just moved in two doors down from me was walking quickly down the hallway. She looked like she was going out. I hadn't said a word to her, except for those neighborly good morning's, but she was really stunning.

We smiled slightly at each other, which was the cordial thing to do. As she walked past me, a rush of adrenaline pumped through my veins. I turned around and said, "Miss?"

She stopped and turned as well. She looked at me curiously, with warm, dark eyes. Eyes that you want to wake up to in the morning. "Yes?"

"I was just wondering, what's your name?" I asked.

She smiled at me. "Kate...Foster."

"Well Kate, my name is Carter James, and I think you look very nice tonight," I said.

She giggled shyly. "Thank you, Carter."

I smiled at her and turned to continue walking. I presumed that she did the same until I heard her heels against the wooden floor get louder.

"Wait," She called after me.

Once again, I turned to look at her. She opened her mouth to say something, but she stopped herself. "Oh, sorry. Nevermind. Have a nice night." She played it off as if she had seen something that wasn't there.

I was curious to know what she had wanted to say to me as I walked into my apartment and set my box of work related things down. She had seemed a bit melancholy before I spoke to her, but doesn't every stranger look kind of sad? I wondered where she might have been going because she was so dressed up. Her dress was black; maybe she was going to a funeral? No, no one goes to a funeral at night. That would be much more depressing than a normal funeral. I came to conclude that she was going on a date and that she didn't want to say anything to me because that's not something you're supposed to do before you go on a date.