Chapter 5 Unbearable

The next day, Ellenore woke early to the smell of coffee wafting through the cracked door of the room. She got up, dressed for the day and was searching the room in her father’s quarters for her book bag, the Arithmancy textbook and folder, when her father poked his head into the room.

“If you’re looking for your bag and your Arithmancy folder they are both sitting in here on the sofa.” She smiled and hugged her father tightly as she entered the sitting room. “Did you sleep well then?” asked her father.

“Yes, I did, daddy, thank you for being there for me.” Severus gave her an extra squeeze as he led her through his office and into the corridor.

“That’s what parents are for, Elly. I have something to do, so I will see you after breakfast to lead you to your Divination class.”

He left her standing just outside the entrance to the dungeons as he strode purposefully over to where Cedric Diggory was conversing with his friends. Hermione Granger came running down the grand staircase followed by two others, and rushed over to Ellenore.

“Ellenore, I’m so glad to see that you’re all right.” Ellenore smiled and nodded at Hermione.

“I understand that I have you and some of your Gryffindor friends to thank for finding my cane. I’d like to meet the friends that helped you get my cane back from Peeves.” Hermione led Ellenore over to Harry and Ron with a huge smile on her face.

“Ellenore, these are my other friends: Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley.” Ellenore extended her hand for the boys to shake.

“Hello,” said Harry as he shook the girl’s hand. “I’m glad that we could help you out.” She then presented her hand to Ron, who refused to touch her.

“It’s Ok, I’m glad to have been of service to you, Ellenore.” Ellenore withdrew her hand and turned her face toward the ground, sadly.

“You know, blindness isn’t contagious Ron.” said Hermione, with a note of anger in her voice.

“It’s Ok, Hermione, if Ron doesn’t want to shake my hand I understand.” said Ellenore as she turned away from the three Gryffindors and walked into the great hall.

Hermione and Harry spun on Ron and both glared at him angrily.

“Honestly, Ron, what’s with you mate?” asked Harry.

“You’re both bonkers, mate. She’s a bloody Slytherin. Not to mention her father is the most unbearable professor in the school.” Hermione was enraged.

“Ronald, she’s nothing like her father, and she’s the nicest Slytherin that I, personally, have ever met. You were wrong to hurt her feelings like that.” Hermione and Harry turned their backs on Ron and strode into the great hall. Ron ran after them muttering under his breath.

As Ron played with his food at the breakfast table, he couldn’t help but notice that Millicent Bulstrode was comforting Ellenore Snape, who was crying. The other Slytherins were all glaring across the great hall at the young redhead, as if they wanted to hex the daylights out of him. Malfoy looked particularly dangerous at that moment.

“Hey, Ron!” came the voice of his elder brothers Fred and George. “Why are all the Slytherins looking at you like they want to hex you?” Hermione and Harry glanced over their shoulders toward the Slytherin table, before answering for him.

“He was rude to Ellenore Snape when all she wanted to do was to shake his hand and thank him for aiding in the retrieval of her cane the other day from Peeves.”

“Well, she is, after all, a Slytherin.” said George.

“She’s a grade O teacher’s pet as well.” said Fred.