Chapter 10: Khalid

"What? Mom are you serious?" I asked the older woman in disbelief.

"I'm sorry, Khalid. But we have to. You know how it is when you have a parent in the military," she replied, placing her hand on top of mine. "I know this is your home. But your grandmother needs help. Uncle Kevin isn't doing so good since he came back from the war..."

"Mom, I'm seventeen, can't I just stay here? Study psychology at Texas State University?"

"You want to get a job, buy your own food, clothes, pay rent, and get a car? Also you're not old enough to take care of yourself. You're still in high school. Not to mention taxes-"

"Fine. When do we move?" I stood up from the dining room chair, placing our dishes in the sink before turning to my mother.

She breathed deeply. "In four weeks."

"But, mom... Normani, and my friends...and Normani?"

Normani and I have been dating for three months, and I didn't want to break up with her. We were almost at the end of our senior year, less than a month left.  The only things that remained were the Curtain Call (the last big show of the school year), and prom. There were smaller things too, but those were irrelevant to seniors.

"I'm pretty sure you can still stay in contact with them," she began.

"Yeah. I guess," I replied before walking away and going to my room.

I looked at my phone to see messages from Normani.

Meet me in 10 so we can get the stuff for our senior trip.

Okay it's been 10 minutes so I'm just going to pull up at your house and you better be ready.

Uh... Hello come outside!!!

I threw on my shoes and grabbed my wallet before making my way out the front door.

"Khalid?" My mother called from the kitchen where I had left her.

"I'm going out with Normani, mom. I'll be back by 10."

"Okay, stay safe."

I opened the door to see a smiling Normani standing there. She wore a basketball jersey with shorts, and heels.

"Goodmorning, baby," she greeted while giving me a hug. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her closer, breathing in her familiar scent.

"Hi, babygirl," I mumbled. Maybe I could take Normani with me when I go. Then we could be together.

Someone cleared their throat behind me, and I knew it was my mother. Normani pulled away, walking up to my mother before giving her a hug.

"Morning, Normani," she said, giving the taller girl a pat on the shoulder.

"Goodmorning, Mrs. Robinson. How are you?" Normani replied, smiling.

"I'm well. Just made breakfast if you want-"

"Say no more," was all that Normani said before running into the kitchen. "Chicken and waffles! Oh my God you must love me." She sat at the table while my mom handed her a plate full of chicken and waffles.

"Want some orange juice?" I asked. 

She scrunched up her nose. "Khalid, you know I prefer apple juice."

I smiled. "Hold on." I went to the refrigerator and grabbed a small bottle of apple juice, tossing it in her direction. She caught it, opening up the single serving bottle before drinking half of it and going back to her plate that was already halfway gone.