Chapter 27: Normani

"Oh. My. God. Normani!!! That dress is so perfect on you!" Ally cheered excitedly.

I turned around in the white wedding dress while looking in the body length mirror.

"It's cute... I guess," i muttered.

"You GUESS? Please this dress shows your curves perfectly and it's a great fit. We don't even need a taylor. It's like it was made for you."

I sighed. I did look good in that dress.

"The baddest bitch," Zendaya mumbled, glancing at Lauren and giving the green-eyed girl a high five.

It wasn't the dress I worried about. It was what the dress symbolized. It meant a wedding, and a wedding meant commitment.

Commitment to a man I didn't even know.

When he came by at the hospital and announced that he was the man I was going to marry, I didn't feel a sense of joy, or anything for that matter. It felt as if the universe was telling me that he isn't Mr. Right.

Maybe my soulmate was out there looking for me, wishing that he could find the love of his life.

Maybe we met already, and the accident pushed him away because he didn't want the burden of having a girlfriend in a coma for five years.

Maybe he caught blue balls and ran off so it didn't feel like cheating since he couldn't sleep with me for the past five years.

Or, maybe my soulmate is Val, and I don't remember falling in love with him because of the accident.

Yeah, that's the reason. It has to be.

"Helloo," Zendaya called while snapping her fingers in my face to pull me back from my thoughts. "Earth to bad bitch Mani!" 

I gave a small smile, pretending to be listening to them. Ally was talking about some kind of teacher strike she did a few months back, Lauren about her music, and Zendaya about her dance school.

I was so lost in the sauce that I didn't realize that they have stopped talking and stared a me.

"Yes?" I asked in an annoyed tone.

"We said 'Earth to Normani' like thirty times," Zendaya said, a small frown creeping on her face. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine."

"There goes my future wife," a deep voice said from behind me. "You look absolutely stunning in that dress, love. Choose it?"

I sighed. "Isn't it bad luck for the groom to see the bride in the dress before the wedding?"

I turned to Val, crossing my arms. He was standing closer than I anticipated so I had to look up at him in order to meet his eyes, which gleamed with mischief. He wrapped his arms around my waist before responding to my statement.

"I don't believe in bad luck." He then turned to Ally, who looked anywhere but at the man holding me hostage. "Do you, Ally?"

"There is something here that I don't believe in," she muttered. "And it sure isn't luck."

Lauren immediately shot Ally a glare, making Zendaya chuckle a little bit.

"I said what I said," Ally stated, walking over to me to get me out of Val's trap.

"Will she be wearing this dress?" My fiancé asked the small woman.

"She'll be wearing whatever dress she chooses. We don't need your help," Lauren butted in, guiding me towards the changing room for the millionth time.

Another dress to try on.

"Please tell me that I don't have to try on yet another dress," I whined to the green eyed woman.

"Oh god no." Lauren replied. "We've been here for hours. I'm just as tired as you are. All I want to do is go home, drink a glass of wine with Ty, and watch a movie."

"Let's get this one," I said, motioning towards the dress that Lauren was unzipping in order for me to take it off.

"What ever you want, your highness."

A slight smile crossed my face. I really loved this girl.

____________________

After we grabbed a bite from Burger King, we made our way home.

Well, my home.

The house I'll be sharing with...Val.

I'm completely okay with it. I think.

"Nervous?" Ally asked me, who was in the back seat, from the driver seat.

"Well, I haven't been with civilization for five years. So what do you think?"

Zendaya giggled. "Still got that sharp tongue."

I crossed my arms. "I took a five year nap. I didn't get kidnapped by Russian spies."

"For the Mafia," Lauren added.

"Or the mob. With a really hot mob leader," Ally chimed in, causing all of  us to laugh.

_____________

"Oh, Normani! God we missed you! Never fucking scare us like that again or I will beat your ass!" Dinah exclaimed as we got out of the car and walked out of the circular driveway to get to what I was guessing my new home.

"I don't even-" I could hardly breathe because she was hugging me so tight. "I apologize."

"Good." The blonde girl let me go as another car pulled in.

"Normani! My baby!" My father exclaimed as I ran and jumped into his arms.

"Dad!"

"Never. Ever. Scare me like that again." He said.

"You're a little late. Dinah already gave her that lecture," Lauren butted in.

My dad ruffled my hair before giving me a kiss on my forehead. "I'm still glad she's back."

After we all made it inside of the three story home, my mother called my father and said her and Val would be there in a few minutes and to make sure I'm situated in my new home.

"Oh! Almost forgot," Ally smiled while handing me an iPhone. "Your new phone."

"Ooooo technology," I joked while looking at Apple's newest model.

"Yes. And all of your contacts were transferred." She winked.

"Okay," I muttered, wondering why she stressed out the word "all."

I opened my phone and went to my contacts.

Mom
Dad
Little Ally 🥺
Lauren 😘
Denim jeans 👖
Zen from cheer 😡
Val 💍

And one out of context, unfamiliar name.

Khalid 🤞🏾

And although I don't remember that name, or the face that goes with that, I couldn't help but feel my heart stir when I saw that his contact photo had the most amazing smile.

And I was with him.