Chapter 20: Normani

"Hey there, stranger," Khalid had said as I walked up to his porch.

A smile crept across my face, then I pulled my boyfriend into a hug. "I'm really going to miss your scent," I mumbled.

He pulled away from me. "Weirdo."

I pouted. "I am not a weirdo."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, beautiful."

I ran my hand down his arm before taking his hand in mine. "You help me sleep at night."

He smiled. "Nice to know."

There was a small breeze, causing me to shiver. "We should get going inside."

Khalid responded by grabbing my hand and leading me inside of the house, down the hall, and into his bedroom.

I sat on his bed, staring at the now bare room. The only thing left was his bed, and a suitcase. It was really happening. I was really going to lose the love of my life.

"Hey, baby come lay down," Khalid muttered, grabbing my arm and guiding me to place my head on the pillow next to his.

He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into him before stroking my back in a soothing manner. "I love you so much, Normani."

"I love you too, Khalid," I whispered.

I couldn't help the tears that decided to slide down my cheeks.

He was really leaving. 

"Are you crying?"

"No," I sniffled, reaching up to wipe my tears away.

"Yes you are."

"I'm not," I protested.

"Normani, I can hear it in your voice."

I sat up in the bed, running my fingers through my hair. "Yes I am. I don't know why. I just- I'm going to miss you. And I don't want to marry Val... And then there's the possibility that I might be pregnant with your child and Val literally kind of threatened me earlier saying he knows I'm pregnant. I feel like if I don't do what he wants he'll tell my parents. And they're strict. They'll kick me out and disown me."

I felt his strong arms once again around me, calming me. "Hey, it'll all be okay."

I smiled. "How did I ever get so lucky to have someone like you?" I wiped away my tears. "I love you."

"You said that already," he joked.

I playfully shoved his shoulder. "Shut up."

And in that moment, I was happy. It was a moment I wish could last forever. You know those moments that allows you to forget all of the shitty things about life? That was most definitely it. And it was a blessing to be living that moment with the man I loved the most.

And I didn't care about what the morning would bring. Not the fact that he was leaving for who knows how long, not about the fact that my parents are going to kill me for leaving the house at four in the morning to spend the day with the guy they didn't want me to be with...

Khalid pulled me into him. "I'm not even sleepy."

I laid my head on his shoulder. "Me either."

...And not the fact that this might be the last time I would be able to touch him, and kiss him. And love him.

"I have something that'll tire us out," he smirked before sliding his hand up my leg.

"Well aren't you a horn dog," I joked, pushing his hand away.