Chapter One

-September 5th, 2016-
Rebecca
It was our last first day.

Many had been itching for this day for weeks, months even, eager to start the last year of school. I had been among them; I wanted more than anything, to be at uni, to be living independently, and starting my life.

I woke up, as usual, and went downstairs downstairs, to say hello to my dad, make him and myself some breakfast and then go back upstairs to get ready. Simple routine, really.

My mum was at home for my first day. She's a flight attendant so she spends a lot of time travelling to and from different countries. She always books off my first and last day of the school year as she thinks they are important. I don't really understand why she believes them to be so significant, but it has become tradition now.

When I had finished getting ready, I went back downstairs and grabbed my backpack. My mum rushed into the room from upstairs and she cried about me not being her little girl anymore. I gave her a hug, and she sorted out my hair a little after.

"Photo time!" She then called. My dad was sitting in the doorway, and he had this massive grin on his face. I quickly went to the standard place, in front of the awards on the dark oak mantel piece, and I just stood there and smiled for the camera.

"Why don't we take a selfie?" I suggested, and my parents quickly took to the idea. My father scooted his way over and my mother meets next to me. We lowered ourselves so we were at the same level as my dad.

My dad is in a wheelchair, in case you're confused. He and his friend were involved in an accident a few years ago. They were coming back from a work do. My dad wasn't drunk or anything, he doesn't drink, but he lost control of the car somehow and the car hit another head on. I think they found there was a problem with the gears or the brakes or something in the end. Anyway, he was lucky- compared to the passengers in the other car as he didn't die.

He and his friend still talk, but his friend still has working legs, and my dad doesn't. I feel like my dad has lost a little hope now as he doesn't go out as much as he used to. He spends time at home, and he's the person I usually come home to.

"Say cheese!" He grinned as I took the selfie. We looked at it and smiled after.

I don't really look like my dad, other than my tawny skin tone that's inherited via a mixture of my dark-skinned dad and my whiter than white mother. I really wished I had inherited my mother's blue eyes, but I'm stuck with my boring brown ones. I think I look more like my mother than my dad though.

"Look at my beautiful girls." My dad said, taking my phone and zooming in onto our faces. We laughed, before my mum passed me my backpack which I had flung on to the sofa so we could take a photo.

"Alright, time for you to leave?" My mother said, looking at the clock and raising an eyebrow. I nodded and we all walked out towards the hallway. I opened the door and started walking out onto the street. My parents followed and waited at the end of the driveway, waving me off.

"Have a good day!" My father called, and I nodded, starting to walk. I looked back and waved at my parents before setting off on my journey to school.

I put in my headphones, and enjoyed the pleasure of listening to Adele. I like Adele, she makes good music. I'd never go to one of her concerts though- I can't imagine that being fun. Her songs are too sad and emotional.