Chapter 16(Miles to go)

"He's my stepdad Miles. He was my dad's best friend before he passed away and dated my mother. They got married like a year after my dad died. So he's my dad now I guess." I say as unattached as I can with a shrug.

"Is that it? You know that you can tell me anything right, I may not say much or talk much; but I do care for you quite deeply Bethany. I mean you didn't even want Mr. Jason to know that we knew each other." He says eyeing me like he knows that something is really wrong.

Sighing I respond to his question as vaguely as possible "Jason doesn't like it when I talk to guys, he's very protective of me. That is all, okay." I say before I continue. "I just have two rules. One we pretend to start all over like we don't know each other, and two don't go in my room after ten at night okay." I say looking at him sternly.

"Fine but since I am staying with you this month we will ride to school together and as far as your stepdad thinks we are becoming friends because he introduced us. Okay?"

"we'll see about that."

"whatever, are you going to help me unpack or what new bestie. I'll even let you unpack my underwear they have donuts on them." He says to me in a sing-song voice while winking at me.

"Oh My God, Miles what has happened to you. I think having Ryder as a best friend has gotten to you." I say laughing and pushing him onto the bed.

"hey it's not my fault Ryder is teaching all this. To be a ladies man." He says pointing up and down to himself.

"oh you did not just say that."

"you best believe I just said that because it is nothing but the truth."

"Yeah the truth of lies" I say.

Holding his heart he looks at me in pain "I am so offended right now, how could you say that to your new best friend. I am appalled at your attitude young lady."

"okay big baby it's time to stop pouting and time to start unpacking."

"Bethany did you get him settled in okay?"

"Yes sir, I helped him unpack and get ready for the month. Do you need me for anything else?"

"Yeah can you go get dinner we're having thai food tonight."

"Jason I can't eat thai remember it makes me sick." I remind him.

"I know it does but I don't care. That's what I want, so that is what I am going to have. If you want something else make it from the house so that you don't waste my money. I will let you take my car this once okay." he says like he doesn't care. Oh wait, he doesn't care.

"Yes sir."

After getting what he wants I walk out of his office and go to the front door to put on my shoes and get his keys. Putting on my vans I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. I don't look up thinking that it's just Miles, but I was wrong.

"Ow, that was my head. What was that for?' I say turning my head to look up at my mom.

"Look i know you have Jason wrapped around your little finger like you did with your father but that doesn't give you the right to hoe around with that kid either. Do you have no shame?" she spits at me with so much venom it hurts.

I don't know why I let it hurt me, it just does. Why does she have to think that I want to go through with this.

"What are you talking about mom? I don't have anyone wrapped around my finger."