Chapter Thirty Three

Hours later...
ADRIENNE

I was running.
Thump, thump, thump.

I glanced over my shoulder to see Abigor behind me. "You won't escape this time Adrienne!" He snarled, as my heart pounded in my chest.

Thump, thump, thump.

I felt the burn in my legs as I ran faster and faster. He couldn't catch me!
"Ahh!" I screamed as my foot caught on a loose cobblestone. I could feel myself falling to the ground. My body hit the cold stones with a thump. I could hear Abigor over me, his heavy stale breath tingling my spine. He flipped me over as I struggled, trying to get away.

"Not this time, you whore!" He spat, a sickening smile coming over his face. I heard the ruffling of skirts as my dress was yanked up. I clawed at him, screaming.
His trousers fell to the ground. Tears began to run down my face as I screamed.
I closed my eyes as he leaned down towards me; closer to my womanhood.

"No! Stop!" I cried out just as my body was shaken.

My eyes shot open. Warmth surrounded me as well as a gentle rocking. I blinked again.

Erebus held me tightly in his lap, rocking me softly; one of his hands gently running through my hair. I could feel my chest heaving against his. He was tense, clutching me to him as if his life depended on it.

"Adrienne, baby; you were having a nightmare" his deep voice rumbled, softer than usual. I leaned off him a bit as his deep eyes collided with mine. Pain, worry and panic reflected back at me. His white fangs shone in the dim light of the room.

"I was so worried...I heard you screaming" he stammered, pulling my frame back against his. I rested my head on his chest, listening to his sporadic heartbeat slowly lessen. He leaned forward, kissing my forehead.

"Please, tell me what had you so frightened" he pleaded desperately, worry twinging his husky voice. My mind flicked back to that day, as my eyes momentarily shut in pain.
"It wasn't just a nightmare Erebus, it was a flashback" I answered softly as he stiffened.

"What"!?
I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. "As much as I hated my life there, I don't want anything to happen to Asteaia" I said softly, looking down.

Erebus went rigid under me.

"Nothing's going to happen to Asteaia, Lumiere" he whispered softly.

"Now, please. What happened?" Erebus pleaded again, the tone so unexpected from such a brooding man.

"My fiancé Abigor, one night he...he" I tried but choked on his name. Erebus patted my back comfortingly.

"He tried to rape me".

Erebus's grip tightened on me as I heard him start to breathe heavily. "Erebus?" I said softly, trying to calm him down.

His face?! A deep scar cut across his face as his fangs elongated. "Erebus, y-your face" I stammered, confused. I could hear his heart pounding inside his chest, his breath rapid as he tugged me back against him.

"He will not touch you again, little one. He will NEVER hurt you again" Erebus snarled in a deep, animalistic voice; a voice I have never heard him use. I stilled in his lap as he buried his face in the crook of my neck, gently kissing the area.

"Mine." He growled protectively, his chest still heaving in anger. I wrapped my arms around his neck, trying to calm him. After his breathing slowed, he gently released me.