31: Operational Plan

"Hindi ko po siya boyfriend," Ken said. Inuna na niya ang pagtama sa maling akala ni Mr. RIngo. Wala naman kasi siyang ibang nararamdaman... kahit gaano pa kabilis ang tibok ng puso niya.

"Saan n'yo po ba nakuha ang tsismis na 'yan, Mr. Ringo?" Sage backing her up was a relief.

"I saw you two being really sweet! Was it last week or the week before no'ng nakasabay ko kayo sa elevator? Ang cute pa nga ng tawagan n'yo eh." Mr. Ringo remembered it clearly albeit being drunk at that time.

"Nagkasabay lang sa elevator, in a relationship na agad?" Ken responded.

"Sage called you 'Chicken' and you called him 'Sausage', and the way you looked at each other, it was too real!" Mr. Ringo insisted.

In her peripheral view, Ken saw Lily's lips curl into a smile. Right, her best friend knew about Chicken and Sausage! She groaned internally.

"And you were too drunk, wala naman pong nangyaring gano'n," Sage chimed in. This was one of the rare cases when he was on the same side as her.

As much as they seemed to dislike one another, they seemed to work pretty well together dahil sa pangalawang pagkakataon, naloko na naman nila si Mr. Ringo gamit ang kanilang fake version of events.

"I guess it's possible that I was too drunk to remember accurately," the condominium owner said but by the way his eyes shifted, she knew he was not a hundred percent convinced. "Regardless of what your relationship status actually is, I still think that you look good toge—"

"No, we don't." Sage and Ken interrupted him at the same time, with the same line.

"Kita n'yo na?" nakangising sagot sa kanila ni Mr. Ringo.

Napapikit na lang si Ken sabay deep breath. Being caught in this series of lies with Sage, Mr. Ringo openly shipping them and the unexplained accelerating heart beats were driving her crazy.

"What's important is that Sage is here," Lily said brightly, effectively diverting the topic. "May planong surpresa si Ninong Aero para kay Tita Istanna, is it okay if you play the piano for them?"

"Sure, no problem," masiglang sagot ni Sage. "What song?"

"Can't Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Valli," sagot sa kanya ni Mr. Ringo. "Kailangan mo ba ng sheet music?"

"Too easy," Sage replied, smugly shaking his head. "Sinong kakanta?"

Nagsalita na si Ken bago pa siya mai-volunteer ng iba. "Lily, why don't you sing?"

"Me?" nagtatakang tanong ni Lily. 

Ken begged with her eyes. Singing wasn't her thing anymore after that incident three years ago. Sa kabutihang-palad, naintindihan naman ng kaibigan niya. Tumango si Lily. "Sige, ako na lang."

Nag-notify ang group chat nila pero naunahan siya ni Mr. Ringo na magbasa ng messages. He announced that his wife and children are already outside the hotel. Pumwesto na si Sage sa piano at naghandang tumugtog. Tumayo naman sa tabi nito si Lily, hawak ang microphone. Ken, Matt, Heidi and Mr. Ringo stayed near the entrance while waiting for the twins and Istanna who arrived less than a minute later.

Mr. Ringo's face lit up when he saw his ex-wife with his children. Napatitig din sa pamilya ang team ni Ken. The whole family was blessed with damn good genes. The daughter, Nadia, inherited her dad's deep set, expressive eyes and her mother's full lips and luxuriant hair. The son, Aidan, got his prominent cheekbones and sharp jawline from his dad and his straight nose from his mom. Matangkad pa silang lahat, 'yong tipong mga napapagkamalang model or basketball player. Kinukuha siguro ng mga advertising company ang pamilyang 'to para maging bida ng ice cream or fast food commercial.

"Nasaan ba kasi tayo?" Istanna was wearing a blindfold kaya wala itong ideya na ilang hakbang lang ang layo niya mula sa dating asawa.

At that moment, they heard the intro of Can't Take My Eyes Off You being played. Hindi lang simpleng pagtugtog ng tamang notes na galing sa sheet music ang ginawa ni Sage. Maririnig na may sarili itong artistic interpretation ng kanta at siguradong iyon ang nakapagpangiti kay Istanna.

Even Ken was very impressed with Sage's skill but she tried to maintain a blank expression. Siguradong magyayabang na naman si Sage kung ipahalata niyang namamangha rin siya.

"Dance with me, Ma," Aidan said, taking his mother's hand and they began swaying to the beat as Lily started to sing the first verse. "'Wag mo munang tanggalin ang blindfold."

"Ano ba 'tong pakulo 'nyo, ha? Aidan, Nadia?"

"You'll know soon, just enjoy the music, Ma," sagot ni Nadia habang hinihila si Mr. Ringo palapit kay Istanna.

Aidan twirled his mother as the song transitioned from the verse to the chorus. Sa pag-ikot na iyon, nagpalit na ng dance partner ang singer at si Aero Ringo na ang sumalo rito.

"I love you, baby, and if it's quite alright, I need you, baby, to warm the lonely nights." Mr. Ringo sang the first line of the chorus and by the way Istanna's mouth hung open, it was apparent that she recognized her ex's voice.

Sage also started harmonizing by singing second voice. Hindi na napigilan ni Ken ang paglingon sa talentadong piyanista. And that was how she caught him looking at her.

Sabay silang nag-iwas ng tingin. Ken felt her face heat up and her intestines twist. She had to consciously keep her hand from holding her chest. Baka makawala na kasi 'yong puso niya sa lakas ng tibok nito. This shit was scaring her.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden outburst from the center of the room.

"Walang hiya ka!" sigaw ni Istanna habang nagtatanggal ito ng blindfold. She pounded her fist on Mr. Ringo's chest a few times before harshly pushing him away.

The music stopped and everyone turned their attention to the ex-couple. Mr. Ringo stared at the singer, his eyes filled with sadness. Kahit may pagkamakulit ang landlord niya, naawa si Ken dito.

Istanna suddenly grabbed a vase and threw it at her ex. Hindi man lang nag-effort umilag si Mr. Rigo. Buti na lang at katabi lang nito si Aidan na sumalo ng vase bago pa 'yon tumama sa ama nito.

Istanna was about to throw her Birkin bag at him but her daughter reached for her arm before she could do it. "Ma, that's expensive. Baka masira," paalala ni Nadia.

"I don't care! Worth it 'yon basta tumama sa tatay mo!" gigil na gigil na sagot ni Istanna.

* * *

It might have been inappropriate but Sage was amused by the scene that unfolded in front of him. Istanna was always calm and professional during concerts, he didn't think she was capable of being violent. Ngayon, naiintindihan niya na kung bakit naaalala ni Mr. Ringo ang asawa niya kay Ken.

"Please, Mrs. Ringo—" Mr. Ringo started to plead.

"Don't you dare call me that," mabilis na sagot naman ni Istanna habang nanlilisik ang mga mata.

"I'm risking jail time for disobeying the restraining order pero okay lang, gusto ko talagang ayusin 'to. I miss you so much, Wifey."

Istanna smirked. "Akala mo bang para sa'yo 'yong restraining order? I filed it to keep myself from killing you, asshole!"

Her daughter was able to hold her back before she lunged at Mr. Ringo. "Bakit po ba kayo galit na galit kay Papa?"

Sage was secretly thankful when Nadia asked that question. The Aero-Istanna breakup had been so sudden and no one actually knew the exact reason for the split. Matagal na siyang curious pero wala naman siya sa posisyong magtanong.

"That great father of yours had an affair with a woman who's less than half his age," Istanna said through gritted teeth.

Natahimik ang buong kwarto. He may be eccentric but none of them would have guessed that Mr. Ringo could betray his wife like that.

"Now, tell me, Nadia, Aidan, sa tingin 'nyo ba, patatawarin ko pa 'yan?" Istanna asked, throwing a disdainful look at Mr. Ringo. "Lakas din ng loob mong kausapin ako, Aero. Baka naman dinala mo pa rito 'yong kabit mo."

The singer then scanned the room, arms crossed. Her eyes stopped at Kendra as it widened in recognition.