57: The Guest

Her sneakers squeaked against the marble floor as Kendra entered the opulent lobby of The Orchid. Everything about the hotel was grand, the crystal chandeliers, the elegant, whitewashed French provincial furniture with their cabriole legs and comfortable cushions, the carpeted double staircase, the potted plants and even the fragrance diffusing from the air vents which was a mixture of wild grasses, jasmine petals and white orchid scents that emanated a sense of security that wafted through the lobby.

She was obviously out of place with her oversized hoodie and ripped jeans which contrasted with the other guests' branded, more formal apparel but she ignored the stares and walked up to the front desk.

Tila magtatanong na kung nawawala siya ang nais iparating ng nakataas na mga kilay ng receptionist pero nakangiti nitong binati si Ken. "Welcome to The Orchid. How may I help you?" Though subtle, the condescension in her tone did not escape Ken's ears.

"I don't have a reservation but shouldn't this work like one?" mahinahong sagot ng dalaga. Inabot niya sa receptionist ang isang itim na card na may logo ng hotel.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ng receptionist nang makita ang VVIP card na iyon. "The Orchid is honored to have you. May I borrow an ID for a quick verification on our end?" Her response to the card was immediate and her tone was suddenly a lot more courteous.

"Sure," maikling sagot ni Ken at saka niya inabot sa babae ang Japanese passport niya.

"We'll prepare your suite, Ma'am," mabilis na sagot ng receptionist bago nito sinuri ang passport at ang VVIP card. She rang a call bell and a young man with a clean cut in a stylish black jacket with a band collar approached her. "Please let Ivan assist you with your bags. While we're preparing your suite, I recommend that you try our signature matcha cake at Cafe Bloom. It's on the house," she added politely, gesturing to the direction of the hotel's coffee shop and returning the card to her.

"Don't I need to fill out anything?" The sudden change in the receptionist's attitude surprised Kendra.

"We'll be taking care of that for you," the receptionist replied with a sweet smile as she returned her passport and VVIP card after scanning them. "We hope you enjoy your stay."

"Thank you," Ken said. Tumalikod siya at iaabot na sana ang bag sa porter pero narinig niya ang receptionist na kinausap ang katabi nitong empleyado.

"Sino kaya 'yon? Parang 'di naman VVIP. Akala ko nagkamali ng pasok. Nakakahiya sa guests kanina, pinagtitinginan pa siya," the receptionist said disdainfully. Hindi naman malakas ang pagkasabi nito pero narinig iyon ni Kendra.

Ken cleared her throat and turned back to the rude lady. She glanced at her name tag and crossed her arms. "Sana naman hinintay mong makalayo pa ako ng kaunti, Miss Karen. Now, if I'm not welcomed in this hotel then I might as well leave, right?"

Color drained from the receptionist's face. "I-I-I did-dn't know—" she stuttered.

"You didn't know that I understood Filipino? Either way, what you did was rude. 'Wag mo na lang ulitin, okay?"

"I was in the wrong, my deepest apologies, ma'am. This will not happen again, please continue your stay at The Orchid." The receptionist lowered her head and bit her lip.

Ngumiti lang si Ken sa babaeng nakayuko. "Good. I'll just wait over there." She proceeded to take a seat at one of the comfy armchairs in the hotel lobby.

Makalipas ang limang minuto, nilapitan siya ni Ivan at napansin ni Ken ang panginginig ng mga kamay ng bellboy. "Pasensya na po sa inasal ni Karen."

"Don't worry. 'Di ko naman siya ire-report. I just called her out so that she won't make the same mistake again. Also, wala ka namang kasalanan, 'di mo kailangan mag-sorry. Masyado bang harsh 'yong ginawa ko?" Medyo na-guilty si Kendra at napakagat siya ng labi.