8: The One That Got Away

10 Years Ago

"Ouch!" Napaupo si Cas sa sidewalk nang tumama sa mukha niya ang kamao ng batang babaeng kasalukuyang nagtatanggol sa kanya.

Cedric Alexander Sage, known as Cas to his friends, had been bored after being left by his grandfather at the hotel. So his bright idea was to board a train, alight at a random station and wander around. 

Walang takot siyang gumala kahit first time niya sa Tokyo, natuwa kasi siya sa makukulay na shop signs. Pero mukhang hindi natuwa sa kanya ang isang grupo ng mga teenager na bigla na lang siyang tinulak, kinuhanan ng wallet, at pinagsisispa nang mapahiga siya sa kalye. That's when a knight in shining armor—more accurately, a middle-schooler in a sailor uniform—arrived and started hitting his bullies.

"Gomen ne!" He had no idea what she meant. Or where they were. Or why he was suddenly bullied by a group of older kids. But he was thankful to this girl who decided to demonstrate her fighting skills to the bullies, kahit natamaan din siya.

She managed to down all her opponents but some were starting to get up. Without waiting for a reply, the girl grabbed his hand and ran towards a busy street. She led him through a series of twists and turns that he couldn't memorize. Palingon-lingon din ang batang babae at no'ng nakasiguro itong wala nang humahabol sa kanila, huminto ito. As a chubby kid, hindi na nakakagulat na hingal na hingal si Cas.

"Daijoubu?" she said, looking concerned.

"Sorry, I don't understand Japanese. Can you speak in English?"

"Are you okay?" she asked. "Why were you in that place?" May accent ito pero naintindihan naman ni Cas.

"The neon signs were cool," he answered sheepishly as he touched his nape. "But I'm actually lost now. I'm spending my summer break here in Tokyo with my grandfather but he had to take care of some business and was too bored at the hotel. Sorry I caused trouble for you. Did you know those guys?"

"Well, you owe me now." She grinned. "Those were delinquents from my brother's school."

"Were you following them?"

The girl nodded. "My brother is strong but too kind. I saw them threaten him outside the school and when he did not fight back, I had to defend his honor." She was so intense for someone so young.

"So you succeeded, right? 'Cause you beat the crap out of them?"

She giggled. "No, they would be hospitalized if I succeeded but you could've been hurt if we didn't run."

"I'm sorry I got in your way—"

"I forgot I accidentally hit you! It's starting to bruise..." Nawala ang ngiti sa mukha ng batang babae at inilapit nito ang mukha sa kanya. He saw the worry in her eyes and her furrowed brows. 

For some reason, his heart sped up as he realized how close she was. It made him conscious. Her fingertips grazed the skin near his left eye which made Cas wince. Inilayo nito ang kamay sa mukha ni Cas. "I'm so sorry!"

Cas cleared his throat. "I-I'm okay," he said, stepping away. "Thank you for helping me. I'm Cas, by the way."

"Nice to meet you, Cas. My name is—"

"Yumi!" Napalingon silang dalawa sa pinanggalingan ng boses. A teenage boy, also in a school uniform, was running towards them.

"Aniki?" The girl smiled at the guy as he caught up with them. They started talking fast in Japanese as Cas stood awkwardly beside the girl. The boy seemed worried while the girl continued on cheerfully.

"This is Cas." Sa wakas, may nag-English din. She turned back to Cas. "I am Yumi and this is my older brother, Yuki."

"Konnichiwa," Cas said. It was the only Japanese phrase he knew.

"Hi, Cas," Yuki said. "It's getting late. We'll help you get back to your hotel."

* * *

"Magandang umaga! Ang baho mo ngayon."

Pinilit ni Cas pigilin ang tawa niya. Nagpaturo si Yumi ng Tagalog sa kanya. He was nice enough to not teach her profanity but this was payback for tricking him into eating Wasabi which she said was ice cream. Good luck na lang kay Yumi kung masabi niya 'yon sa Pilipinong pikon.

"Good morning to you too, Yumi," Cas said. Last day niya na sa Japan dahil magsisimula na ulit ang school year sa UK. He wasn't looking forward to it, boarding school was boring. "As you know, I'm leaving today and—"

"I will miss you." His breath hitched when Yumi suddenly hugged him.

"I will miss you too." He rested his chin on her shoulder as he hugged her back. After a few seconds, Cas tilted his head and kissed her on the cheek. Bibitiw na sana siya pero humigpit ang yakap ni Yumi.

"Don't let go yet. Sekimen shite imasu."

"Hm? Could you translate that for me?"

Yumi giggled. "No."

And so, Cas just complied with the part that he understood. It was the longest hug he had ever been in.

* * *

6 Years Ago

Thank you for being my friend.

Hindi makakalimutan ni Cas ang last line ng last email ni Yumi. It was sent two months ago. Nag-reply siya pero hindi na nag-reply si Yumi. She usually replied within a week so he became anxious when she stopped. He sent her three more emails but she never responded. And of course, it bothered him. He didn't want to be just friends.

For the past four years, Yumi was his motivation. Kung dati, muntik na siyang maging repeater, ngayon, lagi na siyang nasa top three ng batch niya. Kung dati, suki siya sa discipline office, ngayon, siya na ang isa sa mga may pinakamalinis na record. Kung dati, chubby siya at lampa, ngayon, pinag-aagawan na siyang teammate tuwing PE class. He did everything to be worthy of her but now that she stopped replying, will he ever get the chance to be more than her friend?

He knew he loved her the moment he let go of her embrace all those years ago. At hindi niya hahayaang mawala lang ang koneksyon niya kay Yumi. If she didn't love him back, he'll deal with it but he first had to make sure that she knew how he felt. Kaya bumalik siya sa Japan.

* * *

His heart was pounding as he sat on a plush sofa in Yumi's living room. May nakahanda na siyang speech para sa pag-amin kay Yumi na ni-re-rehearse niya sa utak niya. Yumi, you may think of me as a friend but I couldn't help myself from wanting more. I've tried my best to be worthy—

"Why are you here?" His thoughts were interrupted by a deep, calm voice.

Lumingon si Cas at nakita niya ang tatay ni Yumi. He had only ever met the man once when he came over to hang out with Yumi.

"G-good morning, sir!" Cas said. Marami man siyang naipong confidence sa nakaraang six years, iba pa rin ang kaba 'pag katapat mo na 'yong tatay ng crush mo. "I-i-is Yumi here?"

Yumi's father stared at him for a few seconds before saying four words that would change his life forever. "My daughter is dead."