Chapter 11

You stared at the phone, to afraid to call back. You noticed the silence in the house, the clock struck 11 p.m.

Where is mom? She's usually here- how far, where could she have gone? I thought she would be back at noon?

The cell phone went on full heat mode. The device burned up and flooded with calls and calls and calls. You just stood there, till you could hear the birds outside from miles away, going to sleep. Till you heard the water of the rain hit the muddy ground outside. Till you resumed the memories of the past. Till you realized you had to hurry before it was too late.

Mom. I hope you're okay. I really hope you're safe.

You finally answered the call and spoke. With a raspy voice, a voice that someone could mistake for an old man. And someone replied on the other end of the line. Not in fear or in panic, but in concern and worry. She sounded like an older woman, probably older than your mom. Her voice was unfamiliar but seemed to be a cop.

"Hey, I assumed you weren't home? I've been trying to reach you for hours."

"Mhmm...Sorry I that wasn't able too. But why did you call? May I ask- Is it about my mom?"

"....sorry..."

"Sorry for what? What happened? Please tell me... I want my mother."

"I am currently unable to answer that. But we will tell you, your mother is missing. She was taken hostage somewhere and it's undefiable. We're trying to locate her now."

"How long has she been missing for? She's always at home- Why would she walk outside for no reason?"

Your jaw dropped. Your eyes stared down. Your body went into terror and fear. You didn't know that your mom was called out by someone during the evening. You thought she always stayed alone and waited for you.

"Your mom had been gone during the time you were at school. People near the recent bus accident reported seeing her being pulled towards a car. And from what you told me- she seemed to be a person who rarely went out. So there must have been a person watching her in your house for a while now, to actually know when you're at school and when she's awake alone, to be able to take your mother somewhere."

"So my mom didn't walk outside the house...Then you must be saying this person barged in. But how? I don't see any sign of entry."

"Either your mom knew the person, or they came in through the windows or any small passageway. I suggest you check and close everything up well. I don't want anything happening to you. I will notify you if anything of her is found. Please go rest and stay safe."

As you listened and followed the woman's instructions, you cut off the call after thanking her. As worried you were, you went into each room. Opening doors upon doors, stepping each time with a light stomp of your feet. But you turned to your mother's room. And saw something in the corner of your eyes. Even if the rooms were all dark, you felt a strange chilly breeze as you stepped inside. The shudder of the cold air that was seeping through the broken windows. The sound of the howling breeze that made the branches look like arms inside the darkroom, made you in fear and in sadness.

Mom...When I was at school, why didn't she at least message me that something or someone broke in. This person seems to have thrown an object at the window to break into her room. But everything in here looks...Too normal. Even for someone coming in. Please be okay. Today has been a very rough day... I need to make sure she is alive.

As you walked up to examine the glass shards on the floor, a piece of paper tied to a rock was felt by your fragile fingers. Grabbing up the rock to take off the paper, you were shocked to notice that the note was written by the same person who wrote the note that was seen in the locker. All seemed too...Extreme, especially for the first night after school began. But, your curiosity began to grow, your mind and its framework began to move the wires and wheels within. You ran to your room after locking up your place and took out the note you grabbed from the lockers, while sitting on your bed, examining the note thrown in your mom's room to the note found from you P.E. class.

You thought with sudden fear.

What does this mean? I need to find the meaning of this note and my mother.