Chapter One

The wind made trees hit my window, jolting me awake. Damn storms... I sighed and stared into the dimly lit room, thinking about the events that would soon take place tomorrow. I luckily lived in a house apart from the Packhouse, perks of being the Betas daughter. But unfortuantely we have these 'get togethers' -parties- every year. These parties are where packs from different states come together and meet up to speak about future alliances which sucks around this time of year because all of the unmated males go crazy. The one that is joining us this year however, the Western Creek pack, is new. We've never met with them so father said we will take high precautions. I sadly had to attend this year.. Father said I am of age and should get out of the house. I'm not a social person. I normally get nervous break downs when I'm around large crowds, they never went well with me.

I got up and walked out of my room, slowly and quietly to be sure to not wake mother and father as I walked down the creaky staircase and into the kitchen. I had skipped dinner since mother or father didn't cook, due to a meeting with Alpha Zen. Skipping was a big mistake, I was starving. I opened the fridge and began to rummage through it, finding left over lasagna from last night. I grabbed a bowl and scooped the tasty food and set it in the bowl, then putting it in the microwave. A strange scent filled my nose and I looked around, trying to comprehend where the smell was coming from.

My room..

I slowly walked upstairs and opened my door to a tall figure. I inhaled deeply and a large warm hand held my mouth shut so I wouldn't scream. The figure then flipped the light switch, revealing his familiar face. Psyche... my best friend. He look his hand off and looked down at my angry face. I whispered loudly, "What the fuck psyche?!"

He hushed me and shook his head as the microwave beeped. I jumped a little and shook my head, returning down to the kitchen again where I got my food and walked back up, locking the door and sitting on my bed.

"What are you doing here?" I growled and sat my food on the bedside table to let it cool off. He then sighed and sat next to me.

"I had to come see if the rumors were true." He shrugged. I growled, "What rumors?" Psyche buckled and shook his head, "I'm kidding. No, I had a dream about you and had to make sure you were okay." He hugged me gently and smiled. I was still angry but I couldn't stay that way with him.. So, I hugged him back and asked the all-time question, "how did you get in?" He then pointed to the half open window.

I sighed and walked over to shut the window as the sprinkles of water hit it again. I looked at him before chuckling, "mother and father are leaving early in the morning to set up for the gathering. You can stay the night." I nodded to him and took a bite of my now, non-piping hot food. Psyche took the bowl from my hands and a quick bite.

"Really?" I chuckled as he put his hands up in surrender, his tone changed as well, "What? Hungry males gotta eat!" He laughed and got up.

"So where am I sleeping?" He shrugged and looked around. I finished my lasagna and set the bowl on my table again before patting beside me, "here, as always." His eyes widened, they were pretty. I've always had a crush on him but never really admitted it.. luckily I could have a crush on him though. The rule was, you can't mate or mark  someone who isn't your mate. But you could be boyfriend and girlfriend. I felt it was fair. But who could resist a 6'0", tan, broken messy bed headed, muscle filled, Golden eyed psyche? Definitely not me. I have a feeling he knows how I feel due to his flirtatious actions. He shrugged and laid next to me, wrapping an arm around my neck and pulling me close. Oof... I smiled wide and switched off my lamp and cuddled close to his chest, sighing contently as he rubbed my back. He made my heard patter, but soon calmed me making me fall asleep in his hold. It was nice to feel calm before I would have to endure the panic of the party tomorrow.