Chapter Twenty-Five: Falling

10k's Pov

I yawned quietly as I began to wake up. My eyes slowly opened and I felt my breath hitch, heat consumed my cheeks. In front of me, Y/n was curled up to my chest, our legs tangled together. I bit my lip seeing her innocent face. She wasn't scowling or angry, or even scared.

She looked peaceful. Her arms were wrapped around me securely, my left hand on her waist. I pushed a stand of hair out of her face gently, her eyes opening. She looked terrified for a moment but then sighed. "Oh It's just you 10k."

My eyes saddened. She seemed to notice and her eyes lit up in alarm. "D-Did I say something wrong?" I shook my head with a sad smile. "No. I'm just glad you are alright. You worried us." She smiled. "Other than my body aching, I'm fine."  I smiled back. Her smile is so..

In the distance we heard banging. "Puppies and Kittens! We gotta go!" Y/n sat up and groaned in pain. I got out of bed and held my hand out to her. She looked at it confused but set her soft hand in it. I held her hand while she climbed out of bed.

She limped to the living room with me right behind her. I zipped her bag and slung it over my shoulder along with mine. "10-"  "I got it." She nodded grabbing her machete off the side velcro. Banging on the door alerted us. She nodded again while I opened it. Instantly a Z rushed in and almost touched me, but a machete latched into its skull.

"Lets go 10." I couldn't help but smile at the way her face relaxed when she looked at me. Her eyes darted to the door as a Z ran past. She walked out, swinging to her left and killing another Z, but wincing in pain. I walked out after her and tilted my head to the stairs. As we ran, she cut down every threat. At the main entrance, Warren stood beside everyone else. Y/n walked ahead next to her.

"Still got that radio? I might be able to rig the wiring again to contact Si- Citizen Z."  Warren handed it to her as we began walking. Doc looked at me and Cassandra nodded to him as they slowed their pace to match mine.  I glanced at them and Doc slapped my shoulder. "Hey Kid-" Cassandra cut to the chase while looking at Y/n, who was ahead of us with Warren.

"We think you should tell Y/n." I rose my eyebrow. "...?"   She sighed. "That you like her?" My entire face flushed bright red. Doc shrugged. Either you or Warren will. I glanced up at Warren and she was talking to Y/n, who was staring at the radio. Warren's eyes trailed to me and she winked.

I sighed. "How long til I have to?" Doc shrugged. "A day?" I sighed and noticed Murphy downing his third bottle of vodka. Suddenly a hand in front of me caused me to jump. I looked up and saw Y/n waving her hand. "Geez 10. Did you even hear me?"

I shook my head, my face heating up. I saw Cassandra and Doc smirking along with Warren a few feet away. She sighed. "Citizen Z said there was another storm coming in a few hours. Warren wants us to go scout ahead and look for another non-infested place."

I nodded. "Let's go." I nodded towards Cassadra for us to go and her smirk widened. "Nope, just you two. The rest of us wanna have some rest." I glared in annoyance but nonethess got over it and left with her. 'I-uh.. Y/n? Yea I'm sorta in love with you. No that sounds stupid.'  I zoned out thinking as we walked into the woods on a small dirt path. 'I li-no I love you-'  "10!"  I snapped out of it just in time to see that I had stepped off a steep ledge. I turned and saw Y/n reach for me but I could never drag her down. Even with my thoughts, I retch up as I fell. She grabbed my hand and my torso slammed against the rock. I coughed. Her body was instantly dropped to the ledge as she held my arm. I stared into her pained eyes.

"Y/n-" "Oh shit.. Z's!"  I instantly started to panic. "Y/n, let me drop." "No!" She turned slightly and kicked, I could hear it stumble but come at her. "Y/n!" She retch for her machete, which was a few feet to her left. "I said no!" I heard bushes rustle and then cracking. My eyes shot to the ledge, it was collapsing. She touched the machete and I heard crumbling.

She fell foreward, towards me. Our eyes locked, but our grip loosened. I was falling faster than her. My eyes closed as I hit the ground.

-

My ears were ringing, and everything ached. I opened an eye and saw Y/n. But she was motionless. Her eyes were opened and staring at the sky. I shot up and crawled over to her. "Y/n!.. Y/n!" She smiled, and thats when I noticed the blood. There was blood all over the shirt I gave her. "Tommy.."

I searched for a scratch from the fall and was horrified.. She was bitten..

On her right collarbone was a large bitemark. "I'm sorry..I didn't see it.."