(5)

/JISUNG/

It was New Year's day. 2017. I was fifteen. It had been four years. Four years since I had fallen in love with Zhong Chenle. Two years of teasing and awkward moments and two years of lies and regret.

————————

(New Years)

It's sophomore year. Of course I still liked Mr. Perfect Face, my nickname for Chenle, I only called him this in my head and to Renjun who knew of my now secret crush.
This is my last year in the same school as Chenle before he graduates and goes to college. I want to make the best of my time with him and talk to him at least once but it's so difficult. He's popular, smart, good at everything, good looking and then you have me. The exact opposite.
Renjun has been the best through it all. He has told no one and mostly payed attention to Wendy, who is still is beloved girlfriend. He also has been at my side everytime I get frustrated or upset. If I wasn't head over heals for Mr. Perfect Face then I would probably like my own best friend. I don't want to see that happening anytime soon.

————————

We sit on our blanket in the freezing temperature. It's 11:57 p.m. on New Year's eve. Donghyuck is sitting all alone on the steps texting his girlfriend. Jaemin is laying on Grandma's lap, passed out while Grandma plays her pokémon game. Mother is cuddling the cats while singing a song and I'm here looking at the stars.
Another year. I think to myself. Another year of all this. Great.

I sigh and look at my family. All busy doing something they love. What do I love? When will I find my love? I think about this for the next two minutes when I'm suddenly woken from my thoughts by a loud booming sound. A bright flash of color appears in the sky. Fireworks. I jump up from the blanket and start running towards the front of the yard. I take out my phone and check the time.

11:59:55
11:59:56
11:59:57
11:59:58
11:59:59
12:00:00

I close my eyes as the time changes. I make my wish.
I wish for Chenle....
The same wish I've had for the past four years. Nothing ever happens but it doesn't hurt to try.

I sigh once more and then put my hands up in the air. I smile and make a fist with my hand. Fighting!

————————

(The next night)

Taeyong, my cousin, just invited me to his party. I'm not sure what kind of party it is. For being 16 years old I still haven't been to a party or anything like that. What do I wear? Is there alcohol? What do people do at parties?
Taeyong just turned 21 and is friends with a lot of the seniors in my school. Why did he invite me? He knows I can't say no to him so I agree. Hopefully Chenle will not be there. It'll ruin my whole night because I will be nervous and stiff.

I decide to wear a white sweatshirt with light blue jeans and a jean jacket. It matching my teal hair well. Like I said I don't know what to wear at parties.

 Like I said I don't know what to wear at parties