Chapter 15

The cars gave way to the unmarked car with blue flashing lights on its hood. Alessa bit her lip in an attempt to calm her knotted stomach. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw Dmitri turning his eyes away from where she sat, his eyebrows knitted in confusion. A warm feeling spread in her chest, easing the knot in her stomach.

She turned to Agent Davis. "Do we have to travel this way?"

"Yes," he replied, his arms crossed and his left leg over his right one. "It was this or the chopper." He shrugged his shoulders, looking unusual in his fitted black blazer and a black bow tie. He looked almost normal. Except Alessa knows he had his gun, handcuff and taser carefully concealed under his clothing. He was, after all, there for her safety.

Next to him sat Dmitri. He looked more unusual than Davis in his tailor fitted black blazer that showed off his broad shoulders and red tie. His usual unruly hair was gelled back, exposing his deep eyes. Eyes that couldn't seem to stay off Alessa and every time they landed on her, they were pulled away, not before making her heart skip a beat and shoot tingles from the top of her head to her toes.

Bobby peeled his face off the side window. "When will we get to-to-"

"Crystal ballroom?" added Finn and looked at Davis.

The agent sighed and looked at his watch. "We're nearly there. Just couple more minutes." Bobby hummed happily and plastered his face on the car window, eyes wide open in awe. Alessa smiled at the sounds of joy he made at the different buildings he saw. She felt grateful for Bobby's presence and curious nature. It made the car ride less awkward.

"We're here," announced gent Davis as he opened the door. "You wait here until I check security." With a slam of the car door, he walked around to a group of police officers standing with communication devices in their hands. Alessa frowned at the crowd of people trying to get to the car. Most of them had cameras and notepads in their hands.

She turned to Dmitri, ignoring Bobby vibrating excitedly in his seat. "Why are there photographers and journalists outside?" Finn stopped attempting to peer through the window and looked at Dmitri.

"Photographer and journalists?" Bobby exclaimed excitedly. "We're going to be in the newspaper." He started to wave at the crowd from inside the car.

"They can't see you. The windows are tinted," said Finn, his eyes still trained on Dmitri, waiting for Alessa's question to be answered. "And Doctor Wilde, why are there photographers and journalists outside? Is it possible they know about...us?"

Dmitri sighed. He wasn't going to get away with not answering the questions. "The military felt... necessary to tell them, the people, there is still hope despite the freak weather incidents so..."

"So, what? The military made a broadcast and told everyone they have some fr-people who have 'superpowers' that will help them save the world?" spat Finn, his face a clear mask of emotions.

"Yes, for moral support," said Dmitri, playing with his hands.

"For moral support," scoffed Finn, "And I suppose it was the general's idea?"

Finn sat back, his face turned away from them as he gazed through the windows with his right leg shaking.

Alessa smiled at Dmitri to say she understood why the general decided to take this decision of telling the public about their abilities rather than keeping it a secret – it was times like these that people needed something to latch their hope on.

"The security is sorted out and –"

Davis paused briefly at the silence but continued. "The security is sorted out and you cannot say anything about what happened recently." He ignored Finn's muttering "why keep it a secret? You're going to tell them anyway". "You can answer any other questions they ask. Any questions?"