Chapter 19

"Hey," said Alessa. Bobby looked up from the T.V., his eyes widened at Alessa standing next to the sofa. He jumped off the sofa and hugged her. Alessa chuckled as he tightened his hold on her. Finn walked over and hugged her once Bobby pulled away. Alessa stiffened in surprise but pulled her arms around him and hugged him back. Bobby had a wide grin on his face.

"He must have really missed you," said Sam, chuckling at the scene in front of her.

Finn pulled back, cleared his throat and attempted to plaster his normal scowl on his face. "We need to go back to the lab room. The generals are waiting for us."

"So," said Alessa as they walked down the corridor and past the living quarters for her family. "What's been happening since I wasn't here?"

Bobby looked at Finn who nodded at him. "They've been doing normal tests on us but it's been... intense." Alessa frowned. Why did it feel like Bobby wasn't telling the whole truth? She'll have to talk to them in private.

"So, the tests were the same ones in HIRI?" Bobby nodded.

"But the Arab general and the other people with abilities like us were there as well," Bobby added. Alessa realised the intense test had something to do with the Arab general. She knew he didn't like her but she didn't know why and now it included Finn and Bobby as well.

They arrived in front of the familiar brown door with 'Main Lab' written on. Alessa felt excited to see Dmitri again. Hopefully, he forgot the incident with Ethan and her birthday party.

"What?" whispered Alessa as she observed the huge, wide room. she followed Sam, walking past rows of exotic skin coloured children aged as young as Bobby and as old as Alessa and Finn. They looked up curiously at Alessa, ignoring the protests of their charge to go back to their chairs. A chill went down Alessa's spine as their eyes followed her to her chair and she gingerly sat down. She had a feeling their abilities were a bit different than theirs. They almost seemed to sense her presence.

"That was... different," commented Sam as she started to prepare her. Bobby nodded as he sat in a chair next to her.

"They always ignore me and Finn. I wonder why they did that. It was really creepy," said Bobby, shivering as he remembered their eyes.

"Must be because Alessa was with us," joked Sam, trying to lighten the mood.

Alessa had no doubt it was because of her but why? She turned to question Sam on their abilities but stopped when the two generals came into her view with Dmitri trailing behind them. her heart deflated at the blank look on his face.

An Arab scientist whispered something frantically in General Ahmed's ear. General Ahmed glared at Alessa and her group before following the frantic scientist.

"Miss Alessandra," boomed General Fitzgerald when he stood in front of her. "I gathered your grandmother has awakened. Have you been able to collect any information that would be helpful to us?" The scientists around her stopped and looked at Alessa. Alessa frowned – she didn't know what will sound ridiculous: the fact she would be the one to save the world or the truth about her birth. Alessa went with the least ridiculous idea.

Alessa shook her head. "Grandma just wanted to tell me the truth about my birth." The scientists looked disappointed and went back to attending Finn and Bobby.

"The truth?" inquired the general.

"I'm – I would have been the fourth child if my mum hadn't the miscarriage." Alessa felt guilty for not telling the whole truth. The general nodded, uninterested and went to check on Finn and Bobby.

"We're going to do some tests to check your health since you've been unconscious for two weeks," said Sam. Alessa nodded. Her heart thudded as Dmitri monitored her heartbeat with a stethoscope and checked her eyes.