Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Early next morning I wake up to strange sounds coming from outside. I sit up and look around the room, everyone is awake and getting dressed except for Emma,who is still sleeping, and Levi is nowhere to be seen. Maybe he left, maybe he just came to steal our supplies, maybe that weird banging sound is coming from a zombie smashing his head on a rock or a tree ..... a girl can dream.

" Dakota, Easton needs your help, Emma wake up!" Mia shouts.

Emma tosses and turns but finally has the courage to open her eyes and embrace the morning sun. " Where's Levi? "

" Don't know " Mia answers " He wasn't here when I woke up."

" Dakota he's outside, cutting down trees. "

That's what those weird sounds are. I stand up and pull a maroon colored sweatshirt over my head .

" What's the bandaid for? " I ask grabbing a brush of the small wooden table near our cots and brush my curly, knotted hair.

" Evan " she answers. " He fell down and cut his arm on a big twig "

She puts the bandaid on him and sets him on the couch in the main room. She then puts on Tomas the train. " That should occupy him."

I pull my hair into a quick messy bun and follow them out the window.A cool breeze blows threw our faces. I feels so fresh and reminds me of the years I spent with Ella. Training her. Washing her. Driving her. God, I miss her. I wonder if she's doing ok, if she's even alive? Is any of family alive? I shake the thoughts out of my head and focus on the outdoors.

" What are we doing?" Emma asks as she climbs down the ladder that sits on the window sill.

" We have to pile up all the wood that Easton cut down. We better get working , theres a lot. " Mia says

" Time?" I ask

" 7 : 23 a.m. " Emma says checking her watch.

In front of us is yards of cut down trees. " this is going to take hours!" I complain

" Days " Emma corrects.

And she was right ....... almost. It took us with help of Avery and Stella until 1 am the next morning. The unbearable 98 degree weather and neither did the beating sun.

We all get back into the main room and decide none of us were ready to go to bed, so we pull out a movie and put it into the DVR. Kelli, Evan, The unnamed baby and Garret go to sleep. Mia was the last one to come inside.

" Guys " She says " Avery's missing!"