9

A week after Nic got sick and had to be hospitalized, Richard somehow "regressed" and became quiet. It was like a different person had replaced the once active, noisy, and playful Richard. The old Richard liked walking and pacing the activity room and ward halls, making lots of "joyful" noises as he met people along the way. This time, he would make one or two rounds of the activity hall then just sit down facing the window or door to the garden. He had to be forced to go out, too.

"Anong problema, Richard?" Hanz asked when he saw Richard's serious look while he prepared Richard's clothes for his morning bath.

"Wala. Wala lang ako sa mood. Medyo nanghihina. Masakit ang tiyan ko."

"Diba hindi tayo lumabas kahapon? Kamusta na pakiramdam ng tummy mo? Teka, bend forward ka nga ng konti at i-check ko lang yung diaper mo" Hanz said as he helped Richard out of his sleeping gown. Hanz put his hand on Richard's diapered bottom then pulled at the waistband to check. "Hmm...meron konti...O sige, ligo na muna tayo tapos bigyan kita ng medicine, ha?"

"Ayoko na ng mapait na medicine." Richard's tummy rumbled. He put his hand on his belly.

"Masakit pa rin?" Hanz rubbed Richard's belly as Richard farted and pooped. Richard's face turned red and his breathing hitched. "Sige lang...mmm...mmm..."

"Ahh...shet!"

After a few minutes after, Richard's color turned normal and Hanz led him to the bathroom to wash and bathe him.

"It seems that the change in weather and humidity caused Nic's asthma; it also caused Richard's diarrhea" Dr. Carey said during the weekly staff meeting. "In the past weeks, Nic and Andeng had undergone some sort of respiratory disorder; Jerald has a cold; and Richard has diarrhea. Are any of your kids also sick?" Dr. Carey asked the rest of the caregivers and staff at the meeting, while looking at the records of the patient-residents of Wing 11.

"Andy started coughing this morning. Akala ko nasamid lang pero di na tumigil yung pag-ubo." Mel, Andy's caregiver, reported.

"Give him lots of lemon water. Keep him hydrated. If there's phlegm, bring him to the infirmary."