33

"O, Chie-boy, tomorrow is Nic's birthday, okay? Daddy is giving her a party..."

"...day Niii?" (birthday nya?)

"Yes. It's her birthday. May party tayo. Invited yung mga friends nyo from Wing 11..."

"Co?"

"Yes, Mommy Ching said dadalhin nya si Paco."

"...my?" (Mommy)

"Hmm?"

"...ip? Chaaa Niii ip?"

"Ahh...let's go to the mall later. I want to buy Nic a dress also."

"Hmm!" Richard smiled.

"Happy birthday to you!" strains of the song ended and Nic blew out her birthday candle. The guests clapped and cheered. Nic clapped and smiled happily.

"This is the best birthday ever!" Nic groaned happily, a bit smile spread across her face.

The guests gathered at the living room where Nic opened her presents. She squealed and giggled at each gift she received.

"Di nyo lang alam kung gaano ako kasaya...salamat"

Nic got books and toys which she wanted to play with all at the same time. She sat in the corner of her room and played with her toys; shifting from one toy to another.

"Ligpit na tayo. It's late na. Time to sleep na." June said as she tried to put away some of the toys Nic scattered on the floor.

Nic was not too thrilled with this idea though she had been yawning already for some time. In fact, June had to pry away a book and a mini piano from her arms while in bed.

Nic and June heard a knock at the door. June saw Hanz standingat the door, while Richard stood behind him. June let them in.

"Niii..."

"Chaaa"

"...py...ddey..." Richard said as he extended his hand toward Nic.

"Binunot yung bulaklak ni Miss Ruth dun sa likod...kaya pala lingon ng lingon dun nung party pa lang kanina..." Hanz said.

Richard gave Nic a flower.

"Para sa yo...Happy Birthday!"