16

Another few months have passed and life at Wing 11 was quiet. Two new housemates joined them, Nina and Joey. Tim, Andy, and Je were taken back by their families. The staff changed a bit, too. Some renovations and updates were done to Wing 11 so it looked brighter and felt more "homey". Nina and Joey were pretty much like how Richard and Nic were when they first joined Wing 11's 'household' – angry, violent, loud.

"Masasanay din kayo dito. Masaya kaya dito." Nic looked at Nina who was having a tantrum when she was prevented from going out of the activity hall. It was raining heavily outside.

Richard ran to the pantry and pointed to the water dispenser in the corner. "Water please". Hanz filled Richard's cup half-way before handing it to him. Richard chugged it down immediately. He held it out again to ask for more. Hanz gave him more and moved to go out of the pantry. Richard stood his ground and groaned. He pointed his cup to the dispenser again.

"Tapos ka na or gusto mo pa?"

"Para kay Nic"

"Finish mo muna yan." Hanz looked at the inside of the cup which still had a little water and instructed Richard to drink the rest of the water in the cup.

"Para kay Nic nga e. Thirsty din sya."

Hanz realised why Richard didn't want to move so he gave him some more."O, here. Careful ha" Richard rushed out of the pantry, but walked ever-so-slowly back to the activity hall. The patient's cups were never filled to the brim to avoid spills. In their therapies, patients were taught to carefully transport items. This taught them coordination. Richard stopped where Nic was and made a sound. Nic looked at him and stood up. Richard gave her the cup and she drank. She wiped her hand with the back of her hand.

"Thank you."

During arts and crafts time, Richard would diligently work on his activity until he finished. He enjoyed making things like robots out of recyclables. He also liked moulding and kneading play dough. What was intriguing to the therapists who worked with Richard was that he was drawn to the dark colors when he moved to St. Dymphna's which they associated with his feelings of anger and resentment brought about by his traumas. Then, about a week before Nic was transferred to Wing 11, Richard picked up a yellow crayon and started coloring a whole sheet of paper with the crayon. All his succeeding coloring or painting activities had yellow or a shade of yellow in them.

 All his succeeding coloring or painting activities had yellow or a shade of yellow in them

Just before Nic received her own yellow chewy, she found Richard's blue chewy near her area (giant foam blocks) which was next to Richard's favorite chair. It blended with the blue foam flooring so Nic saw it as she crawled around her area while playing.

"Kay Richard to ah" Nic picked up the chewy and began biting on it. She had it in her mouth as she continued to play. When she saw Richard walk into the activity hall about 30 minutes later, she placed the (now wet) chewy on his chair. Richard approached his chair and saw his chewy. He picked it up and started biting it. Hanz saw the lanyard dangling from it and attached it to Richard's shirt.