17

"Nic...gising na...wake up na.."

"Hmm? June?"

"O, wake up na. Gusto mo ng champorado?"

"Champorado? Hmm..yes! Nanaginip ako...may naghug sa akin na cute na marshmallow. Ang lambot lambot nung marshmallow!"

"O, bangon na. Bakit ka dito natulog sa floor? Halika na. Andun na si Richard o, kain kayo ng champorado" June found Nic sleeping on the floor. She pointed to Richard, whose hair was sticking up and eyes puffy, who sitting at the table waiting for the merienda to be served. Nic got up and walked slowly toward the table.

"Nakita ko kayo ni Richard na natutulog dun sa floor." June said, nonchalantly. She did not mention that she actually saw them sleeping in an embrace. "..next time, dun kayo sa bed nyo matulog kung inaantok ha?" June said as she affixed a bib on Nic, who sat down next to Richard.

"Maaa..." Richard said ("Eat tayo ng champorado. Favorite ko to!"). This was the first time in their almost two years 'together' at St. Dymphna's that Richard actually said "Ma" while looking at Nic. To June, who witnessed and heard it, it meant that Richard was beginning to associate or name something or someone – in this case, Nic.

"Observe nyo muna. If he does it again, and she responds, then we can begin to assume that he has regained some speech..." Dr. Carey told Nurse Ruth and the staff of Wing 11 when they had their weekly meeting. "Has she made any progress in terms of speech or any other aspect?"

"...nakita ko pong magkaakap sila na natutulog.." June reported.

"Magkaakap?" Dr. Carey asked. Nurse Ruth was a bit alarmed because a general rule of the facility was that physical contact between patients was discouraged.

"Noon pong isang hapon na malakas yung ulan. Iniwan ko po si Nic sa activity hall pagkatapos namin mag-nebulize. Andun na si Richard sa may favorite pwesto nila. Nung dumaan ako para i-check si Nic, mga 30 minutes after, nakatulog na silang dalawa dun sa sahig nung foam blocks area. Magkaakap silang dalawa."

"Hindi mo ginising?"

"Inisip ko na baka magwala si Nic kapag nalaman nyang may ibang tao na humahawak sa kanya. Diba, sensitive sya sa touch at sa akin lang sya mostly nagpapahawak? Hinayaan ko nalang at binantayan hanggang sa nagkahiwalay sila kasi gumalaw si Nic at bumitaw si Richard."

"O, tapos?"

"Maya-maya, nagising na si Richard at parang zombing bumangon at naglakad papunta dun sa may meriendang champorado..."

"Favorite nya" Hanz shared and chuckled

"Favorite nya" Hanz shared and chuckled. This made everyone giggle.

"Eh si Nic?"

"Ginising ko nalang mga after five minutes...tapos, yun na, yung pagsabi ni Richard nung 'Ma'"

"I see. Okay, so, observe Richard and take note if he uses other sounds or syllables to convey something. Ganun din with the other patients, observe and take down notes."

"As for their physical contact, holding hands and touching of exposed extremities are fine but you know our rule about them sleeping together. I know that this incident was accidental and most likely done in all innocence but just be more aware of your patients' actions. We are still discovering things about them every day and the slightest touch or movement might trigger something we might have a hard time controlling in the future. Although both Nic and Richard have changed a lot since they got here, we still do not know what the future will bring..." Nurse Ruth reminded the staff.

Nic, Richard, and the rest of the residents of Wing 11 were outdoors having a picnic. With a slight shift in caregiving duties, June was in charge of both Nic and Richard for the week as Hanz went on leave. Marco assisted June when it came to Richard's personal care but she was their guardian during the day. June was seated on the picnic blanket watching Nic and Richard at play.

Nic was busy picking up weeds and flowers by the edge of the mini-forest while Richard was busy running around with Pao, a younger, and newer housemate.

"Maaa!" Richard called out("Laro tayo!"). "Maaa!...Maaa!" This time, Nic looked up and turned toward Richard. She didn't notice a big rock near her foot and she tripped on it and fell. The fall resulted in a scratch on her forearm and knee. Nic screamed in fright and pain.

"Maaa!" ("Nic!") Richard ran toward Nic as June also ran to where Nic was. Nic was screaming and crying.

"Araaaay! Masakit!"

"Nic!" June said as she helped Nic sit properly so she could asses Nic's wounds. Mayang came with some water and a first aid kit. They cleaned and dressed Nic's wounds. "Dun tayo sa blanket..." June suggested as she tried to help Nic stand. Nic was still sobbing. Nic held on to June and tried to stand up. When she put weight on her right foot, a sharp shooting pain hit her that she screamed and fell back down. She began wailing.

"Hmm..mukhang may sprain.." June said as she gently massaged Nic's foot. "Paano ba to? Teka...si Marco?"

"Umalis si Marco. Inutusan ni Miss Ruth." Mayang replied.

"Di ko kaya buhatin si Nic e.."

Just then, Richard came closer and squatted near Nic. "Maaa.."

Nic looked at him, sobbing.

"..kaya mo?" June asked.

Richard gently took Nic's arm and put it around his neck while he positioned his arm behind her back. His other arm, he put under Nic's knees. Nic whimpered and tensed up. "Ma..." ("Nic...") Richard said and Nic looked at him.

"...dalhin nalang natin sya sa infirmary..." June said as Richard stood up with Nic in his arms. "Si Richard lang yan o. Kilala mo si Richard, diba?" June told Nic as she held Nic's back while they walked to the infirmary in the next building. Nic's foot was x-rayed and they found that it had been twisted when she tripped. Nic was not allowed to put weight on her foot for the next few days. However, the available wheelchair they needed was what Marco ran an errand for – it needed repair – and would only be returned to Wing 11 the following morning. June looked at Richard and asked him if he could carry Nic back to Wing 11. Richard stared at June for a few seconds and said, ""Ma...". Nic turned to him and slightly nodded. June noticed this. Richard bent down and gently picked up Nic and walked slowly back to Wing 11.

Richard entered the activity hall and saw Nic at his corner, sitting on her wheelchair, looking out at the garden. He slowly approached her and said, "Ma...". She turned, looked at him, and smiled. He then gave her a flower he had plucked from the garden.

"Para sa yo. Sana okay na pakiramdam mo."

"Salamat. Ang ganda naman nito." Nic took the flower which was a little wilted and crushed.

"Alam ko favorite color mo yung yellow e" Richard smiled.