27

Nicky came out of his bedroom and went straight to the dining area.

"Good morning, Sir."

"Good morning, Sally. Breakfast please." Nicky said as he sat down.

"Opo sir" Sally replied as she placed a cup of coffee on the table. Nicky picked up the newspaper and started to open in.

"Ang mga bata?"

"Tulog pa po si Nic..."

"Hmm.." Nicky checked his watch. "She should be getting ready for work now..."

"...nawawala po si Richard..."

"Ano?" Nicky put down his newspaper and turned to Sally who was in the kitchen.

"Nawawala po si Richard. HInahanap na po siya nina Ate June at Kuya Hanz..."

Nicky got up and called for June and Hanz. They came into the house along with Kuya Nonoy. "Nawawala daw si Richard?"

"Opo. Kanina pa nga namin hinahanap e. Naka-dalawang ikot na ako dito sa loob at labas ng bahay, di ko pa rin makita."

"Umakyat din ako ulit dun sa kwarto namin, wala din sya sa bahay namin." Sally said.

"Wala rin sya sa loob ng sasakyan. Nagtanong din ako kay Manding, yung guard sa may gate, kung nakita nila, hindi daw. Wala daw taong lumalabas mula dito sabi nung roving..." Kuya Nonoy reported.

"Baka naman nasa room pa rin nya.."

"Wala po. Napansin ko pong wala nang tao sa kama nya nung madaling araw pa kanina. Pinuntahan ko yung kwarto nya, wala sya dun. Wala sa ilalim ng kama nya. Wala rin sa banyo."

"Check nyo ulit. Baka nagtago lang sa likod ng pinto or sa loob ng mga cabinet..."

"Opo"

"Paano kakasya sa cabinet ang ganun katangkad na tao? NI ako di kasya sa cabinet e..." Sally whispered loudly to Kuya Nonoy as they walked to the kitchen.

"Shh! Ano ka ba!" Kuya Nonoy tapped Sally on the head.

The adults scoured the whole house again. Kuya Nonoy and Hanz searched outside and behind the hedge. They even asked help from the guards and workers who were outside the "gates" of Mendez Cottage.

"Wala. Walang dumaan dito" Mang Felix, the security guard, said. "Wala sa log ni Chavez" he referred to their log book.

"Okay. Sabihan nyo nalang kami agad kung makita nyo."

"Opo"

"Good morning Nonoy! Eto na yung paboritong pandesal nung mga bata. Wala si Sally? Late na ah."

"...salamat po, Mommy Ching. HInahanap po kasi nami si Richard, dumaan po ba dito?"

Mommy Ching owned the canteen and convenience store within the compound. Richard and Nic liked hanging out at the store a lot. Mommy Chi's store is the place where patients are taught some life skills like budgeting and handling money. Richard liked Mommy Chi's breads and pastries the most. He would regularly pass by to get his fill of freshly baked bread.

"Naku, hindi. Hindi pa sya dumadaan dito. Inaantay ko nga kasi gumawa ako nung putok. Gusto nya yun e."

"Ah ganun po ba, o sige po. Pakisabihan nalang po kami kung makita nyo po o dumaan po dito."

June checked the clock on the wall – 8:00am. It was 'late' so she decided to enter Nic's room to wake her ward. She heard Nic coughing as soon as she approached the door. Nic was still sleeping.

"Nic...Nic...wake up na..." June called gently as she pushed the door closed. She then switched off the nightlight and opened the curtains. Nic stirred a little but her eyes were still closed. June noticed a towel on Nic's forehead, something that she didn't put when Nic went to bed the previous night.

June approached the bed and lay her hand on Nic's hand which was on top of the comforter. It was warm. June then noticed that Nic's face was a slightly flushed and she seemed to have a little difficulty breathing and she coughed. June then placed her hand on Nic's cheek and felt that she was burning with fever.

Nic whimpered a little.

"Shh...andito na si June. Sino naglagay ng towel sa forehead mo?"

"Chaaa" Nic said, her voice slightly hoarse.

"Huh?"

"Chaaa" Nic replied as she fluttered her eyes open.