34

"Richard...wash ka na hands....tawagin mo na si Nic...kakain na..." Sally told Richard who was in the living room, coloring.

"Niii..." Richard called out as he walked to his room. He came out a few minutes later and sat down at the dining table. He sat beside Hanz who cut up his meat for him and assisted him from time to time, reminding Richard to chew his food properly or to keep the food in the center of the plate.

"Si Nic?" June asked as she walked to the dining room. Within the Mendez Cottage, they tried to let Richard and Nic be more independent. They were "free" to move around within the compound. Nicky had made sure that the areas were somewhat "baby safe" and CCTV cameras were placed in strategic areas.

"Chie? Pinatawag ko kanina sa kanya..." Sally said.

"Chie? Si Nic?" Hanz asked again.

Richard continued to eat. Ignoring the 'adults' at the table. His favorite fried chicken and rice was tonight's dinner so he couldn't be bothered. Hanz reached for Richard's bib to wipe his chin.

"Richard?" June called on him again. Richard slowly looked up at June. "Si Nic?"

Richard just shrugged his shoulders, bowed down and scooped more food into his mouth.

Nicky and Ruth soon joined the family for dinner. Ruth strapped 5-month old baby Gaby into her highchair next to her chair seat. Sally gave the baby some toys to play with. "O, si Nic? Ayaw kumain?" Nicky said when he noticed Nic's absence at the table.

Nic was a picky eater and was known to throw tantrums when she was forced. Although she liked fried chicken, like Richard, she wasn't a fan. She had different favorite foods.

"Gusto ko bacon and rice!"

"...wala sa kwarto nya...ayaw naman sabihin nitong si Richard..." June said.

"Eh nasaan?" Nicky said, looking a little concerned. Nic wasn't known to wander off just like that. "Sally?"

"Di ko rin po alam..." Sally was preparing dessert in the kitchen.

Without saying anything else, everyone stood up from the table and scrambled around the house in search of Nic. Richard remained in his seat, picking up small pieces of food from his plate and placemat.

"Di sya nawawala. Nandyan lang yan..."

After about 30 minutes, Nicky calmly talked to Richard who was now back to his coloring book. He still had his bib on and had rice and food bits on his face. Nicky gently wiped these off as he spoke to Richard.

"Chie...Chie...look at Daddy...nasaan si Nic?" Nicky called Richard's attention. He gently pulled on Richard's chin to wipe off some of the food and to make Richard look at him.

"Niii?"

"Oo...nasaan si Nic?"

"...Niii...la...to....Niii...bas..." (wala dito..labas)

"Huh?"

"...bas..."

"Ano? Point mo..."

Richard pointed toward the door.

"Babe, wala daw dito sa house. Nasa labas daw."

"Okay, tawagan ko sina Mendoza...Ruth, pakitawagan yung ibang wings, baka nagpunta dun....Hanz, kausapin mo si Richard..." Ruth said. She tried to be calm. St. Dymphna's was relatively secure and well-guarded but it was evening time and darkness enveloped many parts of the estate.

The guards who patrolled the area recalled seeing Nic playing with Richard at the playground earlier in the afternoon. They always played there so the guards thought that they were still together until dusk when they usually went home.

They scoured the play area and found Nic's beloved chewy and small towel up on the slide's platform. They also went to the wooded area behind the playground but did not find her there. The thick hedge acted as a wall that divided the estate from other areas. More staff were asked to check their buildings and surroundings. Two hours later, they reported not seeing Nic anywhere in their areas.

"Richard? Saan si Nic?" Ruth asked again.

"Niii...bas..."

"Saan sa labas?"

"...dun...ro...bas..." (dun, naglalaro sa labas)

"Chie-boy...look o, madilim na sa labas...wala pa si Nic...baka hungry na sya..." June said.

"Niii?"

"Oo, si Nic...diba play kayo kanina?"

"Hmm..pey...bas..." (play sa labas)

"Saan?"

"Dun..." Richard pointed toward the outside.

"Chie, sama ka kay Mommy...labas tayo...let's look for Nic..."

"Yaw...bas!...lim!...kot Chaaa!"

"Ahh..eto...play tayo flashlight, gusto mo yun?" June gave Richard a flashlight which he started to fiddle with.

"O, let's go na...hanapin natin si Nic sa labas...gamitin natin yung flashlight mo...meron din si Mommy at si June o..." June and Ruth showed Richard their torches.

"...hmm.." Richard stood up and followed June and Ruth out the door. However, he froze upon seeing darkness beyond the front of the house. "...yaw! lim!" Richard said as he ran to his room.