38

Sally found the open box of Honey Stars on the kitchen counter with a few pieces on the floor and counter. She cleared these away and left the kitchen. She thought she heard Richard and Nic while she did her chores outside the kitchen. About an hour later, she returned to the kitchen and found the same box of Honey Stars on its side, some contents spilled.

Sally looked around the kitchen but everything seemed to be in order. As she cleaned up and was about to return the box of cereal in the cabinet, she noticed that it seemed lighter than usual. She had served some cereal for breakfast but not Honey Stars. Something yellow on the floor caught her attention as she closed the cabinet door. She approached it and found one cereal piece. She looked down the hall and saw three more pieces. She picked up two pieces in the interior garden near the swing. She heard Nic's giggle from inside her bedroom so Sally thought that maybe Nic was just enjoying herself playing or reading a book. Sally turned around and went back to her chores.

"...kel...tel...rr...ndrr...chu...rrr....pabab...sss...ayyy....nnd...da...ky....kel...tel...rrr... ndrr...chu...rrr..." Richard 'sang' and Nic clapped.

"Chaaa!" Nic squealed and did the actions to the song while Richard sang again.

The monitors had an audio function although set very low, June could hear what was happening in Nic's room. Richard's singing made June look at the monitors. June watched the monitors for a while, while writing her reports in the small house. It was Saturday afternoon and Nicky, Ruth, and Gaby left for a children's party, leaving Nic and Richard to freely play at home. Hanz was at Wing 11 to train the new caregivers. June smiled as she watched the two play and enjoy each other's company in Nic's room. She resumed her work after watching the monitors for a few minutes. Richard stopped singing and continued to 'read' to Nic.

"...nanayt...boon...ed boon...cat...maawww cat...rrr...moooon..." (Goodnight...balloon...red balloon...cat...meow cat...star...moon..) Richard 'read' as he pointed to the pictures in the book.

"nnn...mmm" Nic imitated.

"...moon....nanayt...sip....cat...sip..." (moon...goodnight...sleep...cat...sleep)

"sip" Nic said while putting her hands by her head.

"Hmm...sip..." (hmm...sleep) Richard said again and nodded then he followed Nic's gesture. "sssshhh" Richard put his finger to his lips.

"ssss!" Nic imitated and giggled.

June didn't notice the two leave the room. When she looked back at the monitors later on, they were not on the carpet anymore where Nic had her books. They seemed busy on the wall of the room under the window. The curtains were drawn so it was a little bit dim so June could not really see what they were doing. She could hear them though. Nic was giggling while Richard laughed.

Richard bent down and picked up something which he put in his mouth. Then, he put his hand on the wall. Nic did the same thing. They did this several times before June became curious because of the repetitive action. She stood up and went closer to the monitors to have a clearer look of the activity. She could not quite see what the two were really doing so she decided to Nic's room to investigate. Like Sally, earlier, June found and picked up a few Honey Stars cereal pieces near Nic's door.

"Nic? Chie?" June said as she opened the door.

"Chaaa!"

"Yunnn....rrrs....gay....rrrs..." (June...stars...lagay...stars) Richard, who was seated on the floor across Nic, said as he looked up at June.

"Ano?" June approached. "Ano yun?"

"Yunnnn...rrrsss...gay...rrsss...to o...ame rrmm ko..." (June stars lagay stars. Eto o. Same sa room ko) Richard explained.

"Ay! Bakit nyo ginawa yan! Lalanggamin at iipisin yung room ni Nic!" June exclaimed as she came even closer.

There was an 'explosion' of honey stars on Nic's floor while some were on the wall!

When Nic heard the word 'iipisin', a worried look spread across her face and she jumped up and hugged June. The bowl of honey stars flew from her lap and scattered more of the cereal on the floor. Nic cried into June's shoulder.

"Pis?" (ipis?) Richard looked up at Nic who was clutching tightly onto June's shoulders.

"Chie! Richard! Pulutin mo yan! Wag mong kakainin!...dirty na yan...tapon dun!" June instructed as she consoled Nic. "Shh...walang ipis...wala....shhh....linisin natin yung kalat nyo para di magka-ipis...help mo ako...help mo si Chie...dali...."

Nic and Richard picked up the honey stars and tried to throw them in the trash bin which June brought closer to them. Some of the honey stars were sticky and stuck to the wall, floor, and their fingers. When Richard couldn't remove the honey star stuck to his finger, he shook his hand, making the cereal fly. Nic stopped sobbing and giggled at Richard. Soon, this became their new game while June struggled to remove the stars on the wall. June then gave Richard and Nic a damp rag each to wipe the wall. She ushered them to the living room and put a video for them to watch while she cleaned and vacuumed Nic's room clean.