Let it Ride

Six months earlier

"Are you sure you wanna do this baby?"  Brantley asked as I continued to nip and kiss his ears and neck, first one side then the other.
"I've never been more sure of anything in my life Brantley" I whispered as I looked into his eyes. He leaned down and claimed my mouth with his, nipping and my lips. I bit his bottom lip, pulled away and looked up at him with doe eyes. "You're playing with fire baby" he proclaimed as he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder and carried me away to the bus.  He laid me down on the bed in the back of the bus and went back and locked the door so no one would walk in on us. He came back, shirtless, and I could see every tattoo and could see why every red blooded girl in America who wasn't gay wanted him, and here I was, I was going to have him. Which for me, sleeping with guys I didn't know wasn't my thing. He stalked back over and put his knee on the bed and crawled up it until he was hovering over me. His mouth claimed mine, a kiss of passion and lust, he was putting all of his emotions into that kiss. I felt it all the way into my toes. We made love well into the morning, first on the bus, then we got a room at the Hyatt next to the arena. When I woke the next morning, I rolled over reaching for him, the sheets were cold and I felt a piece of paper. Great, one of those fuck em and forget them assholes! Raegan, what were you thinking? I thought to myself. I switched on the light and read the note.

Raegan,
Sorry I had to leave, I wanted to tell you, but you looked so beautiful sleeping. Last night was incredible. I'll look you up when I'm in town next and we will get together.
Until then,
-B

Present day

I keep replaying that night six months ago in my mind. I had covered a couple of Brantley's tours when he came to Lexington before. I worked for the local country radio station, 98.1 the Bull, I covered concerts coming to the city, local talent and national as well as the midday segment. I hadn't seen Brantley since that night he was in town last, he was playing at Rupp with Kenny Chesney that night, we had met each other when he played at Rupp with Tim McGraw previously, and I always felt like I had connection with him. I logged on and checked my work email when I seen a email from Rich Egan odd, what does he want? I thought to myself. Rich is one of the managers for Hard 8 in Nashville, and he sent me a copy of Brantley's new single, Let It Ride to debut on country radio, today. I clicked play, and that's what immediately brought me back to that night.

I guess we should've seen this comin'
I can't say it didn't cross my mind
'Cause we both said we'd take this slow yeah
And here we are dancin' cross that line
'Cause you got your lips an inch away from mine
Just to see how long they take to touch
I guess we both got a thing for playing with fire
'Cause this looks like it could get dangerous

Just one kiss I know I'll lose it
And I won't know what I'm doin'
I can't call it
Guess I'm caught up in this moment
Let it ride
Once your lips touch mine, girl, it's over
Yeah I think we both know
We can't stop
We're just rockin' with this moment
Let it ride

We're close enough to hear you whisper
Baby do you really care about me, oh yeah
Asked myself, man, should I answer
How head over heels could a man be

Just one kiss I know I'll lose it
And I won't know what I'm doin'
I can't call it
Guess I'm caught up in this moment
Let it ride
Once your lips touch mine, girl, it's over
Yeah I think we both know
We can't stop
We're just rockin' with this moment
Let it ride
Oh, let it ride

I know you're worried 'bout tomorrow
The days and the miles
That are bound to come between us
Baby we both knew this was gonna be tough
Let's make the most of every second we can borrow
And pray to God that what we got's enough
We're gonna take it day by day, mile by mile
Bridge by bridge, yeah smile by smile

Just one kiss I know I'll lose it
And I won't know what I'm doin'
I can't call it
Guess I'm caught up in this moment
Let it ride
Once your lips touch mine, girl, it's over
Yeah I think we both know
We can't stop
We're just rockin' with this moment
Let it ride
Oh, let it ride
Yeah, it sounded just like that night six months ago after the show. I decided to go ahead, and spin the track. "Good afternoon Lexington, I got a new one for y'all that just came across my desk, from none other than Brantley Gilbert, his newest single Let It Ride. Let me know what you think" I said into the mic and pressed play. After that last note faded, the phone lines were lighting up. Looked like Brantley was on his way to number one gold again.

My computer dinged with a new email about the Red, White, and Boom festival we have every year in September, and Brantley had just been added to the lineup along with Jason Aldean, Chase Rice, and Montgomery Gentry. Looks like I'll be seeing Brantley within the next couple of months at the show, although I had a feeling it may be sooner.