His Perfect Imperfections / Chapter 21

Would it be cheesy to say that my heart was beating out of my chest and my mind wiped itself clean in that sudden, impulsive action of his? I bet it would be. Despite that, it's all I felt. It had me pinned and frozen in my spot. Had I missed something? Wasn't he straight? He likes me! Like- like, like me?

He pulled away from me slowly, cautiously looking over my reaction, as if to base his off of my own. “W-why?” I asked, hesitantly.

Even for him it seemed confusing. Suddenly his face flushed red. “I, um, well, it's the drugs, ya know? I'm not thinking very clearly right now.”

“Are you gay?”

“Huh?” He sat back against the wall. “No.”

“Then why'd you-”

“I told you, the drugs.” He pulled the blanket up to his chest. “It was an accident, okay? I'm sorry.”

I was in a daze. “O-okay.”

Over everything that I'd been through -that we've been through. Is he really just going to pretend that didn't happen? I clenched my hands into tight fists until my knuckles strained red.

He glanced at me. “Just forget about, okay?”

I turned away. “I don't get it. Do you like me or something?”

“What? No!”

I couldn't help but frown. Was it really just the painkillers? It couldn't be just that… But, then again, I didn't think he was gay. Not that I was any good at determining if someone was or wasn't in the first place.

“Maybe you should go.” Jake said, after a moment of silence.

“Why?”

He glared at me. “Because!” I waited for the reason, but it never came. “Just… leave me alone right now.”

“Fine. It was an accident. Just let me stay…”

“Please leave.” He turned over in his bed. “I really don't want to see you right now.”

I jumped up from my chair. “What the hell? You're the one that kissed me!”

“Alex… just go home. We're both hurt and I'm not thinking clearly.”

“...Alright, I'll go.” I turned around towards the door, glancing back at him.

Out in the hallway, my brother was quietly speaking on his phone in the corner as to not disturb anyone. He glanced up at me after hearing the door close behind me. “Are you done?” He mouthed, holding the phone slightly lower from his mouth.

I nodded. “Let's go.” without waiting, I continued down the hallway back toward the entrance.

“O-okay.” He quickly said his goodbyes to catch up with me at the other end of the hallway. “I thought you'd be with him longer.”

“I did too.”

“You okay?” He asked, observing my facial expression.

“I'm fine!”

Why was this so irritating? I mean, it's not like I haven't kissed anyone before. Even if I hadn't, first kisses weren't exactly that important to me. Maybe it was his disregard of it? It wasn't like I was falling in love with him, right? Right… I still had to focus on Trevor and everything with him.

“Hey.” My brother called. I stopped, turning around to face him. “What's wrong with you? You look irritated.”

“I am.”

“What happened?”

“Nothing.”

He frowned. “Obviously something happened. You sound really pissed off.”

“I'm not.”

“Alex…”

“I'm not!”

“Shh!” An angry nurse in blue scrubs glared at us. Her glasses hung low on her nose. “This is a hospital. Take your argument outside.”

“We're sorry.” My brother rushed to my side, nudging me along.

We made it into the elevator, thankfully it was only us. “You're starting to make me angry. Why are you suddenly acting like a brat?”

“He doesn't make any damn sense.” I admitted. “Maybe it was the drugs, but why would he kiss me and then tell me to go home? After everything that's happened?”

“He… Jake? Your friend?”

“Yeah.” I admitted. Well, at least it felt better to say something.

My brother shifted around uncomfortably as the elevator reached the ground floor. We climbed out. As we passed the front desk the woman she smiled at my brother, receiving a slight smile and wave from him, and we proceeded out the sliding doors. Back in the car, he let out a stressful sigh.

“So this friend of yours… he likes you?” My brother asked.

“I don't know.” I answered honestly.

“Okay.” He started up the engine. “Well, anyway, now that Trevor has attacked someone else it'll be harder for him to get out of this. His parents won't be able to get him out of that.”

“I just want all of this to be over.”

“It will be. Just be patient.”

A few minutes into our drive a message pinged on my phone from HellBlaster. My usual excitement for seeing his name pop up on my notification screen was replaced with simple annoyance.

'I’m sorry if I pissed you off… It's just you have everything going on with Trevor so…’

I frowned at it. 'It’s fine.’ It wasn't. He just made things a hundred times worse.

But… in a way, I kind of hoped it wasn't just the pain killers.