His Perfect Imperfections / Chapter 23

There's a saying I used to think was a total lie. Everything gets better. I always thought that, realistically, things could only get worse or better. Isn't that just obvious? But, fate is funny sometimes. What are the odds you use a social outlet only once in your life and manage to find a total dork living in your exact town, going to your exact school. I certainly didn't when I wrote that post for the very first time.

I'd gotten to such a low point that crawling my way back up seemed like it'd take forever. Almost like I was trapped. However, that wasn't the case at all. With my ribs hurting and my anxiety still dominating my sanity, I dared to join my classmates back in highschool. Of course no one was talking about me. Their focus was the knife fight, the accidentally stabbing, and the guy that was expelled. Trevor Reed. A name that people knew now and talked about; even adding stories of their own.

As I entered the lunch room for the first time since I was rushed to the hospital, I noticed a change. My usual table, where only Trevor and I sat, was occupied by familiar faces. Michael, Lindsay, and Jake. I went to them and my highschool life resumed.

1 year later    -

“Do you ever think about him?” Jake asked. He was laying on my bed, head resting on my butt while I continued to fill in math homework.

I shrugged. “Now I am.” I said. Him always referred to Trevor in these sorts of contexts. “Why don't you do some homework?”

“I finished it yesterday.”

“Didn't you go to Mark's house?” I asked, trying to nudged him off of me.

He rolled over, placing his hands on either side of my shoulders and laying on top of me. “Yes, and we studied.”

“Jake?”

“Hmm?” He pressed his nose into my neck. “Should I stop?”

“N-no…”

He rolled off of me. “Tell me when to stop. That's our rule, remember? And you stop when I tell you to.”

That was our reached agreement. It'd taken a while, we were both almost Juniors, but we finally managed to get close enough. My anxiety seemed to spike if anyone touched me, but his hand was fine. My mind went calm around him. It was stupid and pathetic, really, not being able to get close to Michael like I had in the past. Somehow I'd managed to create a wall to block the outside.

Jake was different, though. For him, it didn't seem to matter. His touch wasn't a registered threat. And the comfort was nice.

“Hey, Alex.”

“Hey Jake.” I smiled, turned to my side and looking into his hazel eyes.

“Can we?” He asked.

I think I'm doing better. I have friends now, whom I talk to, who know I'm not exactly perfect. And I think, day by day, I grow a little socially. I guarantee that one day I'll be able to put all of my trauma behind me and move forward. But until then…

“Yes.”

Only you can touch me.

Fin.