Chapter 26: Wheelchair

Sapphire's POV.

The first thing I realized was people were shuffling and walking around. The second was the throbbing in my ankle and stinging on my right knee. I struggled to open my eyes and when I did, I was surprised to see everyone there except for Serenity and my parents.

Including Kayden.

He was sitting on a chair with his elbows on his knees and head on his palms.

I watched him for a while before turning to Courtney who was biting her nail off. Damien, who was moving his knee up and down rapidly, was the first one to notice me wake up.

"Sapphire!" he beamed rushing over to me.

Their heads quickly whipped over to look at me.

"What happened? Did anyone tell Terrence or my parents?" I asked. I hoped they didnt. I dont want Tererence nor my parents to get concerned and worried for nothing.

"We told your brother. But don't worry, your fine. The doctors said that you just need to rest for a while." Damien informed.

"What?" I asked, not comprehending.

"You sprained your ankle, scraped your knee and had a minor concussion because of your fall." Jerome said.

"How about Serenity?" I asked, my mouth dry as I remembered the last thing I saw, her head lying limp above a pool of blood.

"She's fine. Recovering from the slight operation. She got a few stitches on her head and is currently undergoing blood transfusion." Courtney replied.

I nodded in relief. "What the hell happened here?" A voice too familiar shouted when they got in to the room. I gulped and closed my eyes. This is not happening. This is why I wouldn't want everyone telling anyone what happened.

When I opened my eyes, I saw my brother looking down at me, concerned. "What happened? Why did one of your friends call me an hour late?" He said softly, trying to control his anger.

"I'm the one who called!" Russel said raising his hand and grinning.

"Now I know why." Terrence said glaring at him.

"I'm sorry I got you worried. It's nothing. You can go back to uni." I said smiling.

"She's right. She just needs to rest. She only has a sprained ankle." Kayden explained.

"Just a sprained ankle?!? You did this, didn't you? I've taken care of her my whole life from you when we were kids. I was there when you pulled all kinds of tricks to her. All I asked of you was to take care of her while I am in college, and this happened? Tell me, what did you do to her?" Terrence said, obviously mad.

Kayden's face was a mixture of anger, shock but mostly, hurt. "I didn't do it." He replied simply, his eyes void of emotions.

"Kayden was the one who first noticed and brought her and our other friend to the hospital." Skylar said, speaking up.

Terrence took a long look at Kauden, sighed and shook his head. "I'll just be outside." he said turning to me and walking to the door.

"I'll go check up on Serenity." Skylar said as the awkward silence prolonged.

"I'll go with you." Jerome added.

"Me too! I wanna go!" Russel beamed childishly while they all piled out the door and closed it.

"I'll come back later, okay? Stay safe." Courtney said, smiling at me. She wanted to stay. She wanted to take care of me. But she didn't because she knew I'd like to talk to Kayden.

I smiled thankfully and hugged her when she reached the bed. "Thank you." I whispered to her. "I love you, you know?"

She broke away from the hug and winked at me. "I know." She smiled one last time and went to the door to get out.

"I'm sorry this happened to you." Damien apologized. Only he, Kayden and I were left inside.

"It's not your fault." I reassured as we heard the door close.

"I guess that's my cue to leave." He said pertaining to the door. Hr went beside my bed and planted a kiss on my cheek. "Get rest, okay? You'll need it. See you tomorrow." He said waving and I waved back with a blush.

I stared at the door for a moment, thinking I have such great friends.

"So are we still up for our picnic tomorrow?"

Kayden asked cutting me out of my reverie.

"I'm sorry. I can't. I need to rest here for at least a day because they still need to do some tests before letting me go."I said.

"Sunday, then." He persisted with a cheeky smile.

"I can't. Sprained ankle, remember? I need to rest or at least walk with crutches." I said.

"Then I'll hold your hand and help you." He replied.

"But I would be in a wheelchair, Kayden." I reasoned out again. I really don't want to go on that date. It will just deepen my so called feelings for him.

And I won't let that happen.

"Then I'll be the one to push." he said simply.

"You're just doing this because you have to. Because my brother told you to. You don't have to do this. I'll just do the project alone." I said but he put his hand up to stop me.

"First of all, you're not going to do the project alone. It's a pair project. And second, I'm doing this because I want to. Not because I'm told to." He said seriously.

I sighed. "Fine then. Just this once. Now, can you go call my brother so we could go catch up?" I said using that excuse to leave me alone. I can't risk looking at his gorgeous face any longer or else I might do something I'll regret.

"Sure." He said, his smile wide.

He was halfway to the door when he stopped. I was about to ask him why but he quickly rushed back to my bed and kissed my forehead, saying.

"Get well, okay? We have a date on Sunday. And you might think again with that 'just once'. I know it won't be last." He said and left without a word.

-----------------<><>---------------

A/N:

I'm a bit weirded out by the last chapter.. they were just playing hide n seek then BAM! she passed out. hahaha :)

I'm sorry about the less updates.. I'm having a short writer's block and because there had been a lot of assignments.. so I'm really sorry : (

Anyway, cover by _fartingrainbows_   :)

Vote. Comment.

××K××