Not the only one [part 4 / final]

When I arrive at the Salvatore mansion Damon's car is on the driveway. He still drives the blue convertible. Memories of us driving around in that thing come flooding back, and I have to take a deep breath before continuing my way to the big oak door.

Before I can knock, Stefan opens the door for me. His hand gestures me inside and I nod while walking past him into the hallway. I hear soft jazz music coming from the living room, the smell of an open bottle of bourbon fills my nose. The combination of the scent and music makes me think back to our days together all those years ago.

Stefan has made his way out of the house. Leaving Damon and me alone. I'm angry at me for disrupting the peace I've built for myself here, but at the same time I'm kind of  happy to see him again. All these emotions are going through my head as I walk through the hallway towards the living room. A thousands possible conversations cross my mind, a hundred possible outcomes flash before my eyes in the seconds it takes me to reach the room and stand eye to eye with Damon.

"You expected me?" I say, clenching my eyes at the sight of the two filled bourbon glasses on the coffee table.

"Ofcourse. Or at least, I was hoping you'd come."

His eyes stand low. He hasn't looked straight at me since I've entered the room. For a second I wish I could read his mind. See what he thinks, the man is hard to read.

"You hoped?"

"Yeah ofcourse, I mean, it's been a while but that doesn't mean I forgot you." For the first time since I've know him, he looks uneasy, insecure somehow. But I can't make put the reason for this sudden change of demeanor.

"You left." I bluntly say it. It's been on the tip of my tongue since the minute I saw him again. "You left me. Alone, confused and wondering why the hell I wasn't good enough for you anymore."

"That wasn't it." His blue eyes pierce mine as he steps closer.

"Than what was it Damon? If you love me, how could you walk away so easily!?"

"IT WASN'T EASY!" He takes the last to steps to stand right in front of me. His yelling completely unnecessary considering he's so close to me now that I could he his shirt ruffle with every tiny movement he makes.

"It wasn't easy at all. I love you so damn much that I had to leave, for your safety. It wasn't safe in my world for a human girl. And I didn't want to take that from you for my own selfish reasons. You deserved so much better."

His voices had gone back to a soft whisper. His hand tucking a lose string of hair behind my ear, sending shivers down my spine. His breath hitting my face with every word that comes out of that beautiful and perfect mouth.

"You could have at least told me."

"I thought it was better. A clean break, no open ends. If I would have known what would happen to you just what... days? Weeks? Months later, I wouldn't have even considered leaving you alone."

I try to do the calculations, counting the time between his department and my transition. I've tried to forgot most of the my earliest days as a vampire, no happy memories there.

"3 Months. 3 Months later I completed my transition. I thought about looking for you. But I thought you never really loved me so I spared myself the second heartbreak."

His finger whipes away the tear that started rolling down my cheek. He bends down and pushes his forehead against mine.

"I never stopped loving you [Y/N]. And I never forgave myself for what I did to you. But still I stand here, hoping you can forgive me. Hoping we can  start again where we left off. Hoping you don't turn around and leave me this time. Please [Y/N], I love you so damn much. Stay."

I look up, his eyes stand begging. I've never seen Damon Salvatore beg. I don't even think Stefan has. But here he is, the big bad vampire is begging me to give him another chance.

I wrap my hands around the back of his head, pulling him further down towards me.  And before a push my lips against his I say the words he longed to hear: "I love you Damon, and I don't think I could never live with myself if I left you now that I finally got you back."

His lips move against mine as he lifts me up by the small of my back. Twirling me around the room in a sudden burst of happiness.

"But, we have one more thing to do." I interrupt him by pulling back my head a little to be able to look into his eyes again.

"And that is?"

"We've got to tell Elena. She doesn't know, and now I'm not the only one anymore, I think she should."

"Fine, we'll tell her when Stefan gets back. But now, we have a lot of time to catch up on."

He lifts me up again, pushing me against his body. And within seconds he throws me on his bed before jumping on top of me.

I hope Stefan comes home very late tonight.